+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa extension

Taatoo

Mar 29, 2020
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. I would like to clarify few things regarding the visitor visa extension.
I am in Canada on visitor visa which is expiring on may 4th 2020 which was sponsored by my wife. also we have a outland spousal application in process submitted in september 2019. Almost 7 months passed and I did medical on 6th feb 2020. we had our baby on 29th november 2019 through cesarean. also my wife had appendicitis surgery back in january 2020 mid. hence she is finding difficulty in taking care of the baby. so i wanted to extend my stay as a visitor. my questions are
1. can my wife provide financial support letter for my visa extension- she is on EI now?
2. can my father in law provide the financial support letter?
3. can i mention the reason for extension as taking care of my baby?
4.can i also mention the outland application as a reason for extension?
5. is it possible to get another 6 months of extension?

Thanks in advance.

drajpoot

Champion Member
Aug 4, 2014
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum. I would like to clarify few things regarding the visitor visa extension.
I am in Canada on visitor visa which is expiring on may 4th 2020 which was sponsored by my wife. also we have a outland spousal application in process submitted in september 2019. Almost 7 months passed and I did medical on 6th feb 2020. we had our baby on 29th november 2019 through cesarean. also my wife had appendicitis surgery back in january 2020 mid. hence she is finding difficulty in taking care of the baby. so i wanted to extend my stay as a visitor. my questions are
1. can my wife provide financial support letter for my visa extension- she is on EI now?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Taatoo

1-First thing keep in mind if you are planning to apply extension, it must be applied at least 30 days before your visa expiry date.
2-Your wife can always provide financial support letter by showing funds in her bank account also being on EI is not going against your application if she is on EI because of COVID-19
3-Taking care of Baby and wife would be the best reason for extension specially when your wife has surgery too.
4-Outland application is not gonna be acceptable reason for extension.
5- I am not sure if they approve your application, what will be the length of extension but i believe it will be min 3-6 month. However I would not advise you to request for 6 month extension.

-D.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Taatoo

1-First thing keep in mind if you are planning to apply extension, it must be applied at least 30 days before your visa expiry date.
2-Your wife can always provide financial support letter by showing funds in her bank account also being on EI is not going against your application if she is on EI because of COVID-19
3-Taking care of Baby and wife would be the best reason for extension specially when your wife has surgery too.
4-Outland application is not gonna be acceptable reason for extension.
5- I am not sure if they approve your application, what will be the length of extension but i believe it will be min 3-6 month. However I would not advise you to request for 6 month extension.

-D.
1.You can apply for an extension right up to when the visitor status expired. It is only recommended to apply 30 day’s before.
2. Yes you should provide evidence that you and your wife have the income and savings to support yourselves without government support.
3. Would not mentioning your caregiving role. That could be considered work if your wife returns to work. Unless she had a lot of complications a c-section and appendectomy should not be limiting her ability to care for a child at this point. You should say that you have already submitted spousal sponsorship and would like to remain with your wife during processing,
4. spousal sponsorship is usually a good reason to be approved.
5. yes 6 months should be possible. Would ask for a bit longer to ensure your sponsorship had been completed. Maybe ask for a extension up to oct/nov 2020.

drajpoot

Champion Member
Aug 4, 2014
1.You can apply for an extension right up to when the visitor status expired. It is only recommended to apply 30 day’s before.
2. Yes you should provide evidence that you and your wife have the income and savings to support yourselves without government support.
3. Would not mentioning your caregiving role. That could be considered work if your wife returns to work. Unless she had a lot of complications a c-section and appendectomy should not be limiting her ability to care for a child at this point. You should say that you have already submitted spousal sponsorship and would like to remain with your wife during processing,
5. yes 6 months should be possible. Would ask for a bit longer to ensure your sponsorship had been completed. Maybe ask for a extension up to oct/nov 2020.
Please keep in mind you are applying for extension of Temporary resident Visa where you need to show your intention to stay in Canada not more than 6 months, I doubt the chances of rejection will be more cause in that way you are self declaring your intention to stay more than 6 month and Temporary Resident Visa is not for stay more than 6 months.
There is no decision made on your spousal sponsorship and no one knows how long it gonna take and if you mention this reason, it will represent that you are not willing to leave Canada.
At the end it should be your decision.

Thanks
D

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.
1 and 2. Yes.

3 and 4. Yes.

5. Yes, it's possible.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Please keep in mind you are applying for extension of Temporary resident Visa where you need to show your intention to stay in Canada not more than 6 months, I doubt the chances of rejection will be more cause in that way you are self declaring your intention to stay more than 6 month and Temporary Resident Visa is not for stay more than 6 months.
There is no decision made on your spousal sponsorship and no one knows how long it gonna take and if you mention this reason, it will represent that you are not willing to leave Canada.
At the end it should be your decision.

Thanks
D
It is perfectly fine to apply for an extension based on waiting for a PR app to be finalized.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
3. ??? It's his own child, so no, it will NOT be considered work. When you create the child, it's called parenting, not babysitting....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
3. ??? It's his own child, so no, it will NOT be considered work. When you create the child, it's called parenting, not babysitting....
the child could go to daycare If the visiting spouse wasn't in Canada. The reason for staying was going to be caring for the child. Although I agree that it is not babysitting, like grandparents there are other options for caregiving if the family member is a temporary visitor. The wife is already on mat leave so although it is nice to have another set of hands it is required. Still don’t think it is advisable to say the reason they need an extension is to care for their child versus saying they would like to remain together as a family while waiting for sponsorship approval.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
the child could go to daycare If the visiting spouse wasn't in Canada. The reason for staying was going to be caring for the child. Although I agree that it is not babysitting, like grandparents there are other options for caregiving if the family member is a temporary visitor. The wife is already on mat leave so although it is nice to have another set of hands it is required. Still don’t think it is advisable to say the reason they need an extension is to care for their child versus saying they would like to remain together as a family while waiting for sponsorship approval.
Are you actually trying to argue that a father taking care of his child is taking away from daycare staff? Are visitors in Canada on vacation with their children working? Should they have to hire Canadian caregivers to care for their children for the holiday? No. It is simply the basic responsibility of being a parent and is not taking away work from anyone. This is not even close to being like grandparents caring for a child.

The wife already being on mat leave is irrelevant. It is entirely their parenting decision whether they need both parents there or not to properly care for their child. No one here has any idea of what their home situation is.

Taatoo

Mar 29, 2020
Are you actually trying to argue that a father taking care of his child is taking away from daycare staff? Are visitors in Canada on vacation with their children working? Should they have to hire Canadian caregivers to care for their children for the holiday? No. It is simply the basic responsibility of being a parent and is not taking away work from anyone. This is not even close to being like grandparents caring for a child.

The wife already being on mat leave is irrelevant. It is entirely their parenting decision whether they need both parents there or not to properly care for their child. No one here has any idea of what their home situation is.
Thanks a lot for your inputs. Can I also provide a financial supporting letter from my father in law?