+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa expired.

Kcapelo

Aug 21, 2008
Hi, I'm from Portugal.
Me and my girlfriend had a long distance relationship, I had come to visit her in Canada a couple of time, and it was being really hard for us to spend so much time apart, so when I came to visit in January we decided to get married and sent in our application for sponsorship in Canada class, our relationship is genuine.
Now it took us a while to gather all the info and papers and get my medical exams done so we only sent the application in May.
My visitor visa expired on July 18th and I still have not heard back from the CIC.
I was wondering how long my application would take and if there is any problem with me staying here in Canada while my application is being processed.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kcapelo said:
Hi, I'm from Portugal.
Me and my girlfriend had a long distance relationship, I had come to visit her in Canada a couple of time, and it was being really hard for us to spend so much time apart, so when I came to visit in January we decided to get married and sent in our application for sponsorship in Canada class, our relationship is genuine.
Now it took us a while to gather all the info and papers and get my medical exams done so we only sent the application in May.
My visitor visa expired on July 18th and I still have not heard back from the CIC.
I was wondering how long my application would take and if there is any problem with me staying here in Canada while my application is being processed.
I hope that you included either and open work permit request or extension request with you application. Better still, since less than 90 days has passed, apply for re-instatement see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp

Kcapelo

Aug 21, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

Kcapelo said:
Hi, I'm from Portugal.
I hope that you included either and open work permit request or extension request with you application. Better still, since less than 90 days has passed, apply for re-instatement see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp
I sent a work permit request, that same link u gave me, but I applied option C) work permit request. Should I also apply for a extented visitor's visa???
And is it strange that I still have not heard from them??
Also...I'm in Winnipeg and I need to go to Toronto next month, would there be any problem if I take a plane?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kcapelo said:
PMM said:
Hi

Kcapelo said:
Hi, I'm from Portugal.
I sent a work permit request, that same link u gave me, but I applied option C) work permit request. Should I also apply for a extented visitor's visa???
Also...I'm in Winnipeg and I need to go to Toronto next month, would there be any problem if I take a plane?
As long as you sent the OWP with the application you will be fine. You wont hear from them until the Approval in Principle stage, 4/5 months after they receive the application.

PMM

Kcapelo

Aug 21, 2008
PMM said:
Hi

Kcapelo said:
PMM said:
Hi

Kcapelo said:
Hi, I'm from Portugal.
As long as you sent the OWP with the application you will be fine. You wont hear from them until the Approval in Principle stage, 4/5 months after they receive the application.

PMM

Thank you so much for your help :)

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
You did the right thing - you now have what's referred to as "implied status". It is legal for you to remain in Canada until CPC-Vegreville makes a decision on the first stage of your PR application. It's true that you won't hear anything for at least 4-5 months, but if the decision is positive, at that time they will issue you an open work permit and that becomes your new temporary status document while you wait for final approval of your permanent residence.

Kcapelo

Aug 21, 2008
RobsLuv said:
You did the right thing - you now have what's referred to as "implied status". It is legal for you to remain in Canada until CPC-Vegreville makes a decision on the first stage of your PR application. It's true that you won't hear anything for at least 4-5 months, but if the decision is positive, at that time they will issue you an open work permit and that becomes your new temporary status document while you wait for final approval of your permanent residence.
THANKS Rob!