+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor to worker

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
Hi, Asking for a friend of mine.

My friend and his wife submitted their outland sponsorship application in March but due to covid they haven’t heard anything back yet. His wife is here as a tourist for 2 months now. With the new policy allowing visitors to work if they have a valid job offer, they might have found an employer that is willing to give them a job offer and LMIA. Would there be any problem with this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, Asking for a friend of mine.

My friend and his wife submitted their outland sponsorship application in March but due to covid they haven’t heard anything back yet. His wife is here as a tourist for 2 months now. With the new policy allowing visitors to work if they have a valid job offer, they might have found an employer that is willing to give them a job offer and LMIA. Would there be any problem with this?
No issues. As long as the employer can secure the approved LMIA, she can apply for a work permit. Note that the LMIA process generally takes a number of months to complete so the employer should kick the advertising step off as soon as possible.

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
No issues. As long as the employer can secure the approved LMIA, she can apply for a work permit. Note that the LMIA process generally takes a number of months to complete so the employer should kick the advertising step off as soon as possible.
Would they have to informed IRCC once they have their work permit on hand?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would they have to informed IRCC once they have their work permit on hand?
Not sure I understand.

They would be applying through IRCC for the work permit.

If you mean as it relates to the outland sponsorship application, then no. The work permit is irrelevant to that process.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that employers securing an LMIA and FN securing WPs are likely to be harder than before covid since so many in Canada who are legally able to work are unemployed. If you have a job that requires rare skills or you want to so a job that most Canadians struggle to do (farming or food processing) then you have a much better chance of getting a WP.

Reactions: Shn05

Shn05

Star Member
Apr 13, 2018
Not sure I understand.

They would be applying through IRCC for the work permit.

If you mean as it relates to the outland sponsorship application, then no. The work permit is irrelevant to that process.
Thanks. They thought that there would be a conflict between the 2 as they already submitted an outland sponsorship application.

If it happens that she have to extend her stay before the work permit gets approve, Ofcourse she will mention her PR application but does she have to include that she’s applying for WP too?

Sep 14, 2020
Thanks. They thought that there would be a conflict between the 2 as they already submitted an outland sponsorship application.

If it happens that she have to extend her stay before the work permit gets approve, Ofcourse she will mention her PR application but does she have to include that she’s applying for WP too?
My wife and I are in the same situation. Please let us know if your wife is able to get a work permit without jepardizing her out of Canada PR app.

Sep 14, 2020
When did you submit your app? And have you gotten aor yet?
Our application was received March 5th. We got air yesterday and biometrics the day before.
So my wife is a u.s citizen in Canada as a visitor. She is looking for a job as a nurse. I am confused if she got the job letter whether should could obtain a work permit at the port of entry without causing issues with her out of country pr application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Our application was received March 5th. We got air yesterday and biometrics the day before.
So my wife is a u.s citizen in Canada as a visitor. She is looking for a job as a nurse. I am confused if she got the job letter whether should could obtain a work permit at the port of entry without causing issues with her out of country pr application?
No she can't flagpole. Her wmployer would need an LMIA and she would need to apply online for the WP

Sep 14, 2020
No she can't flagpole. Her wmployer would need an LMIA and she would need to apply online for the WP
She is LMIA exepempt as a nurse on a USMCA professional work permit and has to leave the country anyways to do fingerprints so she would not be "flag polling"