+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor status to apply secondary school (HELP!!!)

fung510513

Oct 24, 2012
I'm actually living in Canada in Visitor Status and I have been living here 3years
The first year I came to Canada was studying in private school for a 6months short-term course
I didn't make any student permit or stuffs here because my family think our immigration application will be approved then I could switch to public high school
But sadly our application was rejected, and my parents decided to make an appeal.
During the court was scheduling our case, I was able to apply public college since my step-father is my guardian and Canadian Citizen.
And the unfortunate result came out again, but my parents are now insisting to apply the immigration again because our case is real.
Now, I will have graduated this year and need to apply to the post-secondary school.
And I'm going to make an extension of staying in Canada in order to continue my study
Ontariocollege.ca has one column that I have no idea how to fill in.
(Citizenship And Residency) Country of Citizenship: Hong Kong. But what should I fill in on Status in Canada?
If I'm not Canadian Citizen or permanent Resident yet, can I still pay for the domestic tuition fee?
I don't think my parents can afford the international student tuition fee... But I really want to go to university.

*I'm currently still attending public high school with no tuition fee need. I'm afraid if I talk to school counsellor about my situation, they would kick me out the school and I couldn't even get the certificate from high school.
For more details:
-we found a lawyer and he suggested my mom stay in Canada to apply the immigration again; if luckily we will be Canadian Resident in within a year.

~Hope you can understand my pains and my questions... my life is totally screwed up and I cried so many times for my unluckiest life.

Sorry for my bad English

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your status in Canada is "visitor" or "foreign student".

Since you are not a Canadian citizen or PR, you will have to pay foreign student fees once you start attending university or college. You will also have to obtain a study permit for your post-graduate studies (you cannot study at a university or college as a visitor).

You will qualify for domestic fees once you officially become a PR.

fung510513

Oct 24, 2012
Are you sure I need a study permit? my lawyer said I can study university or college but need to pay foreign student fee :'(
*My status is visitor and had applied for extension twice, both were accepted.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you're taking a program that is longer than six months - then you need a study permit and cannot study on a visitor visa. You can only study on a visitor visa if your program is six months or less. All university programs are longer than six months so you'll definitely need a study permit if you want to attend university. Most college programs are longer than six months as well.