+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Record Validity

YYZguy416

Star Member
Apr 29, 2013
If a person holds a Visitor Record valid for 2 years, does she lose it upon exiting and re-entering Canada? She has a valid TRV in the passport. So will she lose that 2-year visitor record and be issued a 6-month stay instead?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

YYZguy416 said:
If a person holds a Visitor Record valid for 2 years, does she lose it upon exiting and re-entering Canada? She has a valid TRV in the passport. So will she lose that 2-year visitor record and be issued a 6-month stay instead?
Yes, you visitor status ends when you leave Canada. It is up to the CBSA officer how much time the visitor will be given on re-entry.

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
PMM said:
Yes, you visitor status ends when you leave Canada. It is up to the CBSA officer how much time the visitor will be given on re-entry.
I have a question: even if the person is non-visa exempt and only travels to the US?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
lellen said:
I have a question: even if the person is non-visa exempt and only travels to the US?
yes, every entry is a new entry. no matter where you are traveling. when you leave, you give up your current status. when you re-enter, you are given new status. a visitor's record is different than a multiple entry visa. it's not meant to be reused once the person leaves. however, if a person has a visitor's record and approved to be in canada for a future date, some border agents *may* not bother the person and let them in under that visitor's record. this is very agent and visitor specific or course.

lellen

Mar 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11 2014
AOR Received.
(SA) August 7 2014
File Transfer...
August 21 2014
Med's Done....
May 29 2014
Passport Req..
December 24 2014
VISA ISSUED...
January 2 2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2015
What about this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/expiry.asp

As per R190(3)(f), foreign nationals who are normally required to have TRVs to enter Canada are exempt from that requirement when they seek to re-enter, if, since leaving Canada after being authorized to enter as a temporary resident, they have only visited St. Pierre and Miquelon or the U.S. (including the Territories and Possessions of the U.S., but not including cruises that enter international waters) and:

are returning within the initial period authorized by an officer; or
are in possession of a valid VR, WP, SP or a TRP (authorizing re-entry) and are returning within the initial period authorized by an officer.

I've traveled to the States a few times with a WP and not a valid visa. They never even treat it like it's weird, they just let me back in without questions. Same thing with a study permit. I'm asking because now I have a Visitor Record, which according to the girl at the call centre works just like a WP, and I am going to travel to the States tomorrow. Should I be freaking out? I need to travel, and I'm not going to cancel my trip. I have my Sponsorship Approval with me and my marriage certificate. Also a letter from my husband that he wrote when applying for the visitor extension (saying he's going to support me etc). Will I void the visitor record by travelling to the states? This can't be!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
lellen said:
What about this:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/expiry.asp

are returning within the initial period authorized by an officer; or
are in possession of a valid VR, WP, SP or a TRP (authorizing re-entry) and are returning within the initial period authorized by an officer.
perhaps this is why cbsa doesn't concern themselves with visitors who already have approval for a future date (either by stamp in a passport or visitor's record)? having a work or study permit is different than being a visitor. you have already been approved to be in canada, so theory would assume the same applies if someone has a visitor's record approved for a future date. there is ALWAYS the chance of being denied entry. While the chances are low for PR applicants, it is still *possible*. It's always dependant on the border agent you meet.

i don't think it's anything to "freak out" about. generally, when you cross the border, they will confirm your application has been submitted and let you in. again, i suspect since you already have approval for a future date, they will not be concerned about you entering.

yfwing

Jan 26, 2012
A stamp in a passport is not considered a Visitor Record document. By default, a Canadian entry stamp in a passport without any expiration date allows a visitor to stay in Canada for up to a maximum of six months. Once the visitor leaves Canada, this permission lapses and a new permission must be granted on the next entry to Canada.

A Visitor Record, on the other hand, is a printed document that is usually issued when an individual is granted permission to stay in Canada for longer than six months. This document remains valid till its expiration date, and the visitor may exit and enter Canada as many times as they like during the validity of this document. It must be noted, however, that Immigration Officers have the power to deny entry to any individual attempting to enter Canada if they decide that the individual does not meet the legal requirements to be admitted as a visitor, even if they are in possession of a valid Visitor Record.