+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor looking for LMIA supported work

Tlaun29

Feb 19, 2022
Hello all,

I'm an American national that currently resides in Calgary, AB with temporary resident status and a visitor visa. I came to Canada with a one year work permit, but was unable to find work and covid certainly didn't help my cause. I'm able and willing to work any job that is willing to provide LMIA as I wish to attain my PR. Unfortunately, I've had no luck in being contacted by an employer with approved LMIA despite applying for jobs. I've used immigration consultants in the past, but they ask for a lot of money for their services so I'm doing this on my own. I'm here just to ask if anyone has any advice or alternate pathways to finding an LMIA supported job. I know its a long shot, but I'm hopeful to hear from someone that may have some helpful information.

Thanks

Last edited:

yutaeren

Star Member
Apr 1, 2022
What did you do in Canada for a year without a job? It might be difficult for anyone to give you any suggestions without knowing your occupation.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I'm an American national that currently resides in Calgary, AB with temporary resident status and a visitor visa. I came to Canada with a one year work permit, but was unable to find work and covid certainly didn't help my cause. I'm able and willing to work any job that is willing to provide LMIA as I wish to attain my PR. Unfortunately, I've had no luck in being contacted an employer with approved LMIA despite applying for jobs. I've used immigration consultants in the past, but they ask for a lot of money for their services so I'm doing this on my own. I'm here just to ask if anyone has any advice or alternate pathways to finding an LMIA supported job. I know its a long shot, but I'm hopeful to hear from someone that may have some helpful information.

Thanks
There are no jobs or employers on this forum.

You need to apply for jobs through job sites like LinkedIn, Monster, Job Bank, etc.

Stay away from consultants. Too many of these are scams or won't produce results. Best bet is to try to find a job on your own with an employer directly.

Tlaun29

Feb 19, 2022
What did you do in Canada for a year without a job? It might be difficult for anyone to give you any suggestions without knowing your occupation.
I supported myself with my own funds while continuing to look for work. I don't have much skilled job experience. Mostly labour and warehouse work on my resume, although I do have experience in data entry, landscaping, construction, and a bit of carpentry. I know that its definitely tricky considering the circumstances.

Tlaun29

Feb 19, 2022
There are no jobs or employers on this forum.

You need to apply for jobs through job sites like LinkedIn, Monster, Job Bank, etc.

Stay away from consultants. Too many of these are scams or won't produce results. Best bet is to try to find a job on your own with an employer directly.
I'm aware. I've been doing exactly that. Applying through Job Bank, Indeed, ect.

Just simply looking to see if anyone has any solid advice of what they've done or whatever, y'know?

And I agree. Consultants will take your money no problem. I did find one that was very helpful, but again, it costs far too much for their services.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm aware. I've been doing exactly that. Applying through Job Bank, Indeed, ect.

Just simply looking to see if anyone has any solid advice of what they've done or whatever, y'know?

And I agree. Consultants will take your money no problem. I did find one that was very helpful, but again, it costs far too much for their services.
OK - it's good you are applying through these sites. My thoughts:

- It's generally much harder to secure a job without skilled work experience or specialized work experience
- All you can really do is keep trying and hope you get lucky
- Be clear when you reach out to employers that you need their support for the LMIA. That way you aren't wasting your time with employers who aren't willing to go through this process.
- If you have the money, you can consider studying in Canada full time as an international student for 1-2 years so that you can qualify for an open work permit afterwards.