+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Ontario

charlinn5222

Dec 25, 2016
Hi. I'm planning to visit Ontario from Boston in the middle of January, and I have a few concerns I'd like to square away with folks who would know what I should do to prepare for my visit. First, in the spirit of honesty, I'll tell you here that I just send my fiance back to Ontario after having her live with me for 5 years. So she's the reason I'm even going at all. I don't have a passport and will be travelling by way of Greyhound bus with my Massachusetts state ID and my birth certificate and social security card. I've read on Canadian government websites that that's all I'll need. The thing is, I have a prior felony conviction from back in 1991, when I was a stupid kid who made a mistake. It's a burglary conviction, which I've read is punishable by less than 10 years in prison in Canada, so my conviction wouldn't be seen by border authorities as a major situation which would make me inadmissible.

Is that last part correct, in your opinions? Will I be wasting the trip, risking entry denial? Will the border authorities even do that kind of check if I and a bus-full of others will pull in at the border in the middle of the day, right after the new year? What do you think the chances are that they'll just waive me right through after the standard questions? I've stayed out of any trouble since 1991 and I'd like to think that stands for something, but I'm not the expert on this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Not sure, but I think the law has changed:

US citizens can no longer cross the border, back into the US, from Canada, using only a driver's licence and birth certificate. Due to changes in U.S. law that took effect June 1, 2009, there are more strict requirements for what identification is required; see the table below for a list of acceptable documents

Adults Travelling
By Land or By Sea

U.S. Passport
NEXUS or FAST card (pre-approved low risk travellers only)
U.S. Passport Card
Enhanced driver's licence (EDL) (available in MI, NY, VT, WA; also proposed in AZ, CA, TX)

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I was also going to remark on this. Getting INTO Canada won't be so much of an issue with your stated ID's along, however, getting back into the US will be more problematic for you, as crazy as it sounds.

As far as your criminality issues go. Based on the very limited information you provided here, you SHOULD be OK. As long as you completed your sentence, whether it was jail time or probation and paid all of your fines it shouldn't be an issue. Be aware though, if they do choose to give you a hassle, they will just send the bus about its way without you. If you are banking on the bus not being able to leave without you, that would be a mistake.