+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting during Outland Spousal Sponsorship

Gaeli

Mar 12, 2024
Hi.

My husband is a Canadian citizen living in Vancouver, I am Irish, living in Ireland. We applied for Outland Spousal Sponsorship, husband got accepted as a Sponsor, I have just done my Biometrics and Medical exam in Dublin.

My question is while we are waiting for the final decision, I want to visit my husband in Vancouver, I have an Irish passport and a valid eTA. Do I need to email Immigration Canada through the email submission form to give them my address in Vancouver with my husband while visiting Canada? Also can I actually stay in Canada on holiday with my husband for up to six months? (which is the time limit on the eTA). Will this affect the decision on the sponsorship if I am on a long holiday visiting my husband in Canada during the Outland Spousal Sponsorship?

I have called Immigration Canada and gotten two versions of advice from different agents. One said I should only visit for about two weeks at a time and spend most of the time during the application outside of Canada. Also that I have to email Canada Immigration of any and all travel outside of Ireland and any changes of address. The other agent said I do not have to contact them at all if I visit Canada and that I can stay in Canada for as long as I want as long as I have legal status (visitor visa/record/eTA).

Any help or sharing of similar experience is appreciated.

Thank you.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hi.

My husband is a Canadian citizen living in Vancouver, I am Irish, living in Ireland. We applied for Outland Spousal Sponsorship, husband got accepted as a Sponsor, I have just done my Biometrics and Medical exam in Dublin.

My question is while we are waiting for the final decision, I want to visit my husband in Vancouver, I have an Irish passport and a valid eTA. Do I need to email Immigration Canada through the email submission form to give them my address in Vancouver with my husband while visiting Canada? Also can I actually stay in Canada on holiday with my husband for up to six months? (which is the time limit on the eTA). Will this affect the decision on the sponsorship if I am on a long holiday visiting my husband in Canada during the Outland Spousal Sponsorship?

I have called Immigration Canada and gotten two versions of advice from different agents. One said I should only visit for about two weeks at a time and spend most of the time during the application outside of Canada. Also that I have to email Canada Immigration of any and all travel outside of Ireland and any changes of address. The other agent said I do not have to contact them at all if I visit Canada and that I can stay in Canada for as long as I want as long as I have legal status (visitor visa/record/eTA).

Thank you.
Hi,

The 2nd agent is correct. When anyone seeks entry as a visitor they are subject to examination.

So, what do you want; how much $ do you have to support yourself; when are you leaving?

The visitor is expected to be here for a temporary purpose - visiting husband while being sponsored outland. That's reasonable enough. You should have financial resources and some sort of continued life happening in Ireland. Work, preparations for immigrating permanently, you have to return to Ireland in order to ______________. Reasonable stuff only, please.

You may show up, scan your passport and only talk to the cabbie, but if you are examined then you'll know what you're doing and how you're paying for it and when you have to return home. They'll have access to your sponsorship on their system, but take a copy of the sponsorship so that they may grant you entry swiftly and move on to any non-genuine visitors in line behind you. It's all about being reasonable.

Easy peasy and welcome to British Columbia. Never live anywhere in Canada outside of BC (don't say that you've never been told).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi.

Thank you.
As a visitor you can visit up to 6 months but how long and even if you can enter is really determined when you try to enter Canada. As someone with an ETA you are likely to be able to visit for 6 months. You need to update your address indicating that you are now in Canada is you plan on a long visit because you will receive a virtual landing in Canada versus having to submit your passport for stamping if you are abroad.

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
yes you can visit, and can visit for as long as you are permited entry by CBSA - if you are on an ETA and land in YVR you will likely use kiosks and wont even speak to an agent. If you are going for longer than a 30 day visit then update IRCC with in canada address as you may recieve the portal invites that way via virtual landing. If you wish to apply for OWP once you are in canada, you will need some form of proof (bank statement etc with Canadian address) and the AOR. This is what me and my wife are doing in 2 weeks - I am entering as visitor but applying for OWP once there, waiting out PR within Canada

Gaeli

Mar 12, 2024
Hi,

The 2nd agent is correct. When anyone seeks entry as a visitor they are subject to examination.

So, what do you want; how much $ do you have to support yourself; when are you leaving?

The visitor is expected to be here for a temporary purpose - visiting husband while being sponsored outland. That's reasonable enough. You should have financial resources and some sort of continued life happening in Ireland. Work, preparations for immigrating permanently, you have to return to Ireland in order to ______________. Reasonable stuff only, please.

You may show up, scan your passport and only talk to the cabbie, but if you are examined then you'll know what you're doing and how you're paying for it and when you have to return home. They'll have access to your sponsorship on their system, but take a copy of the sponsorship so that they may grant you entry swiftly and move on to any non-genuine visitors in line behind you. It's all about being reasonable.

Easy peasy and welcome to British Columbia. Never live anywhere in Canada outside of BC (don't say that you've never been told).

Thank you very much for your reply and all the information.

Gaeli

Mar 12, 2024
As a visitor you can visit up to 6 months but how long and even if you can enter is really determined when you try to enter Canada. As someone with an ETA you are likely to be able to visit for 6 months. You need to update your address indicating that you are now in Canada is you plan on a long visit because you will receive a virtual landing in Canada versus having to submit your passport for stamping if you are abroad.

Thank you very much for replying and the information.

Gaeli

Mar 12, 2024
yes you can visit, and can visit for as long as you are permited entry by CBSA - if you are on an ETA and land in YVR you will likely use kiosks and wont even speak to an agent. If you are going for longer than a 30 day visit then update IRCC with in canada address as you may recieve the portal invites that way via virtual landing. If you wish to apply for OWP once you are in canada, you will need some form of proof (bank statement etc with Canadian address) and the AOR. This is what me and my wife are doing in 2 weeks - I am entering as visitor but applying for OWP once there, waiting out PR within Canada
Thank you for replying and the information.