+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada with a criminal record

Tonibee

Apr 7, 2009
I'm helping a friend who plans on a holiday to Canada for 17 days - flying out next month. She has a job, a home and return ticket.

My friend has a conviction for common assault (a very minor offence for which she received a one-year conditional discharge) almost five years ago.

She is worried that she will be asked about it. From what I've been able to find so far, I have suggested that no-one will ask, and even if they do, it's not likely to cause any sort of problem. She has found information about 'criminal inadmissibility', but as far as I can tell this only relates to those who are applying for longer stays that require a visa or other entry clearance.

Can anyone help put my friends mind at rest?

Thank you very much for all replies.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Tonibee said:
I'm helping a friend who plans on a holiday to Canada for 17 days - flying out next month. She has a job, a home and return ticket.

My friend has a conviction for common assault (a very minor offence for which she received a one-year conditional discharge) almost five years ago.

She is worried that she will be asked about it. From what I've been able to find so far, I have suggested that no-one will ask, and even if they do, it's not likely to cause any sort of problem. She has found information about 'criminal inadmissibility', but as far as I can tell this only relates to those who are applying for longer stays that require a visa or other entry clearance.

Can anyone help put my friends mind at rest?

Thank you very much for all replies.
1. She is inadmissible to Canada as a visitor. From the criminal code.

" 266. Every one who commits an assault is guilty of
(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years; or
(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

2. She requires "rehabilitation" to enter Canada, and would not be eligible to apply until 5 years after the completion of the sentence. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5312E.PDF

PMM

Tonibee

Apr 7, 2009
Thank you very much for your reply.

I find it astonishing that the Canadian authorities will want give themselves this much work for tourists. But hey, that's 'western' bureacracy...

Thanks again.