+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"visiting" Canada next month...(establishing common law relationship)

pey91

Dec 5, 2014
hi guys, I have booked my plane ticket for july to stay with my boyfriend in canada. I will be applying for PR once a year has gone by and I was wondering if there is anything I need to do NOW.
I plan on getting on his rent and bank account.

also, I will be flying and going through customs (which I am nervous about) the plan is to buy a return ticket and refund it once i've arrived.
Is there anything I need to know going through customs? everytime we have crossed the border we get brought in and questioned, so I think I am flagged.

I just want to be prepared, the customs and border questioning is very stressful because i get anxious which ends up making me look suspicious :( and everything i say sounds like a lie. I wish there was a preparedness checklist somewhere on this forum!

xx

KelseyTVS

Jun 18, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you're American, you'll be entering the country with visitor status, which lasts 6 months. After 5 months you have to apply to extend your visitor status for another 6 months. If you just stay in Canada past the initial 6 months on your visitor status without applying to extend it, you no longer have legal status in Canada.

The next part I'm not 100% sure on, so if someone wants to correct me, please do!

I don't think you need to have legal status for a PR sponsorship, but it probably will look shady to the CIC agent processing your application. At customs you should only need to tell them that you are visiting Canada. As a US citizen you don't need a visitor's visa or anything, you get to go right in with the 6 month visitor status. A red flag would be if you brought all of your possessions with you, that shows that you intend to be a lot more than a visitor.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Make sure you are clear that you are just visiting. Have proof of ties to the USA, if you have any. A return ticket with a specific date is good.