+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada from the UK while waiting for PR

UK11235

May 6, 2021
Hello, all

I've applied for Permanent Residency - Family Class, Spousal in November 2020. I'm from the UK, my wife is Canadian. Given COVID, we really need to get to Canada soon so my wife can support her parents.

If we go in, say, August 2021 my PR may well not have arrived. Some questions:

1. Can I come to Canada with my wife/kids on an ETA, and how long can I stay in Canada on that?
2. If I find a job while there, can I apply for a work permit there?
3. If PR comes through when I'm there, do I need to leave Canada and re-enter, or can I switch internally?

Thanks in advance. All very stressful...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, all

I've applied for Permanent Residency - Family Class, Spousal in November 2020. I'm from the UK, my wife is Canadian. Given COVID, we really need to get to Canada soon so my wife can support her parents.

If we go in, say, August 2021 my PR may well not have arrived. Some questions:

1. Can I come to Canada with my wife/kids on an ETA, and how long can I stay in Canada on that?
2. If I find a job while there, can I apply for a work permit there?
3. If PR comes through when I'm there, do I need to leave Canada and re-enter, or can I switch internally?

Thanks in advance. All very stressful...
1. Yes. You can stay until your application is finalized. You'll just have to keep applying to extend your status from within Canada until your PR application is approved.
2. You can. However in order to qualify for a work permit, your employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA (in most cases) which is a very involved process that typically takes 4-6 months to complete. It's generally hard to find employers willing to go through this process. Best to plan that working will not be possible until you have PR.
3. Your application will remain as an outland application however your PR visa can be issued to you while you are in Canada. No need to leave.

UK11235

May 6, 2021
1. Yes. You can stay until your application is finalized. You'll just have to keep applying to extend your status from within Canada until your PR application is approved.
2. You can. However in order to qualify for a work permit, your employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA (in most cases) which is a very involved process that typically takes 4-6 months to complete. It's generally hard to find employers willing to go through this process. Best to plan that working will not be possible until you have PR.
3. Your application will remain as an outland application however your PR visa can be issued to you while you are in Canada. No need to leave.
Hugely helpful. Many thanks.

DD2019

Oct 29, 2019
Hi there,

What if the request for interview comes up but my spouse is already in Canada visiting on a visitor?

Does that mean he could do his interview within Canada?

Thanks in advance for any info.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi there,

What if the request for interview comes up but my spouse is already in Canada visiting on a visitor?

Does that mean he could do his interview within Canada?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Interviews done in office closest to country of origin/residency at time of applicaiton.

But not worth worrying about so much right now as very few in-person interviews are happening at all (phone or supposedly video any day now).

Look into it when you have some indication they will request an interview (fewer files now get interviews at all).