+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting Canada before/after receiving COPR

lisinha87

Nov 6, 2023
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

my husband is an Indian citizen who has a visitor visa for Canada and we have applied for Outland spousal sponsorship.

1. If my husband receives notice that he has received his copr while he is in Canada, what happens? Flying back to India to get the document/submit passport is not a problem…I’m just curious if this causes any issues in the sense would he need to stay in Canada when he gets this notice/passport request? He has formalities and arrangements to close in India before he can move.

2. Also what happens to those who have visitor visas and then gets their copr, are they still allowed to only visit before their copr expires?

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: Abdi sham

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If in Canada, he'll do a virtual landing (by computer). Won't need to return for that.

I don't understand what you wrote about copr, I'd suggest you forget what you think you know.

Con firmation Of Permanent Residence: if one gets the copr abroad, the COPR is used to land and is filled in and signed at the port of entry. After that it serves as a ... confirmation of permanent residence, a document you can use to show you became a permanent resident. But in reality after you get PR card, the COPR is mostly an historical document. (Side note that for the most part, the COPR won't be taken as evidence of current PR status one year after landing - eg in most provinces they'll only take the COPR for one year to get health insurance; it shows you were once a PR, and CBSA and IRCC can confirm using computers, but apart from showing good faith, basically they're just using it to look up file using UCI# and confirm current status).

This COPR issued abroad has an expiry date - but that only indicates the latest date that one must land to become a PR. After it's signed and finalized at port of entry, the expiry date is no longer relevant. If the person doesn't land before the expiry date, it is now just a piece of paper.

If you are in Canada and land virtually, you get an eCOPR (by email). That is the doc that shows you are now a PR. Afterwards - see above.