+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa to attending the conference

Nihon Khail

Jan 1, 2024
Hi everyone

I have applied to attending conference in Canada which will be held in 25 of January 2024, I performed the biometrics in 31 of October, but till now my application is still in process.

When I performed the biometrics the time processing for country I have applied is 76 days, but now the time processing is rising to 111 days.

I reserved and payed for ticket and hotel for the conference in 25 of January.

What can I do?

- Can I take another date for the same conference which will held on May and send the IRCC about the updated? or

- Waiting till they give me the final decision even if the conference ended but in this case I have to cancel the reservation of Air ticket and the hotel before they charging the cost but in this case, is the cancellation will affect on my application?

Thank you in advance

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone

I have applied to attending conference in Canada which will be held in 25 of January 2024, I performed the biometrics in 31 of October, but till now my application is still in process.

When I performed the biometrics the time processing for country I have applied is 76 days, but now the time processing is rising to 111 days.

What can I do?

- Can I take another date for the same conference which will held on May and send the IRCC about the updated? or

- Waiting till they give me the final decision even if the conference ended but in this case I have to cancel the reservation of Air ticket and the hotel before they charging the cost but in this case, is the cancellation will affect on my application?

Thank you in advance
Not much you can do. Change dates of conference is an option. IRCC tells you not to book airfare. IRCC doesn’t care about you cancelling airfare/hotel. All they want to see is an itinerary with dummy bookings.

Reactions: Nihon Khail

Nihon Khail

Jan 1, 2024
Not much you can do. Change dates of conference is an option. IRCC tells you not to book airfare. IRCC doesn’t care about you cancelling airfare/hotel. All they want to see is an itinerary with dummy bookings.
Thank you for your reply,
but in this case, should I inform the IRCC, or no need to inform them?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone

What can I do?

Thank you in advance
Processing are estimated averages not a guarantee of processing times. Saying you need to attend a conference is a well known technique people use to try and secure a visa but typically does not work. If there is a conference so frequently in Canada I assume this isn’t a big global conference that happen infrequently and that you aren’t attending as presenter. You should be able to show that your employer or the conference will be paying for your travel, that you have attended similar conferences close to your home country, that you have previous travel history, etc.