+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa Extension for minor son, applying online

unknown217

Dec 10, 2016
My son has been staying with his grandparents in Canada for 5 months now and I would like to extend his stay in Canada. My son received a stamp with the date of arrival on his passport when he entered Canada so it was implied that he could stay as a visitor for 6 months. I would like to apply for a visa extension for my son so he can remain in Canada for 5 more months. I have the following questions / issues:

1) Can I apply for his visa extension online?
As you are probably aware, one has to be 16 or older to make an account on CIC and my son is under that age. Can I make an account under my name, using my date of birth and proceed to submit an application online for him?

2) After filling out the questionnaire I am asked to submit an application form and supporting documents. I noticed that the supporting documents required in the online application are not required for a visa extension application package sent my mail. Example of supporting documents include family information, bank statements etc. Why do you think I have to send supporting documents online and not in the mail-in application?

3) In regards to the bank statements, do I submit my own bank statements or bank statements of my child's grandparents, whom he will be staying with in Canada?