Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
28-06-2023
AOR Received.
15-08-2023
Happy New Year everyone!!

I'm doing the inland sponsorship and received portal 1 email on December 7th, but no portal 2 yet.
I'd like to visit family in Europe soon, but when is the soonest that it would be possible to leave?
After portal 2 and uploading pictures and passport? Or after receiving eCOPR? Or only after receiving the actual physical PR card?

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Happy New Year everyone!!

I'm doing the inland sponsorship and received portal 1 email on December 7th, but no portal 2 yet.
I'd like to visit family in Europe soon, but when is the soonest that it would be possible to leave?
After portal 2 and uploading pictures and passport? Or after receiving eCOPR? Or only after receiving the actual physical PR card?

Thanks!
You could leave after you get virtual landing but to come back to Canada you would need to go through the US (you’d need a U.S. visa) and cross via land border or obtain a PRTD while in Europe but there is no guarantee when it comes to processing time. In order to fly back to Canada as a PR you need a valid PR card or a PRTD. You can cross the Canada/US land border without valid PR card. You can show your landing document, PR card, application, expired PR card, etc. The one big exception is if you are a US citizen.

nve

Apr 18, 2022
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
28-06-2023
AOR Received.
15-08-2023
In order to fly back to Canada as a PR you need a valid PR card or a PRTD.
Thank you!
Just to clarify, once I've been through the virtual landing process, the only way to come back directly to Canada is as a PR with PR card (or PRTD)?
So they won't let me return as temporary resident in the mean time either? I have visitor record and work permit, or is that not valid anymore once permanent residency has been approved?

Tarikla

Star Member
Nov 20, 2023
Thank you!
Just to clarify, once I've been through the virtual landing process, the only way to come back directly to Canada is as a PR with PR card (or PRTD)?
So they won't let me return as temporary resident in the mean time either? I have visitor record and work permit, or is that not valid anymore once permanent residency has been approved?
Once you have the eCOPR, all your other documents are indeed invalid, as you become a Canadian PR. And the eCOPR is NOT a travel authorization, it is only a status document, that can be used to travel only if you are either an US Citizen (as US citizens are entirely visa free and do not require ANY travel authorization) or if you cross an US/Canada land border.

If you try to fly to Canada without a PR card or PRTD, there is a VERY strong chance you'll be denied boarding by the airline company, as they won't be able to check your travel authorization and don't want to have to shoulder a fly back if you get denied entry into Canada. And you cannot apply for an eTA even if you're from one of the countries that have that right, as technically you'd be entering as a Canadian PR and NOT as a temporary resident, and eTA are for temporary residents only.

It is a very peculiar situation created by the fact the eCOPR is signed as soon as it is generated, to avoid needing to go to a border to "land" while you're already in Canada. People who have regular COPR fly into Canada under a special temporary resident status, and only become PR at the border, and thus can use eTA or the specific travel Visa VOs deliver to new PRs.

So yes, the only ways is with the PR card, the PRTD, or by crossing a land border and showing your eCOPR.

nve

Apr 18, 2022
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
28-06-2023
AOR Received.
15-08-2023
Thank you for the detailed answer! :)

nve

Apr 18, 2022
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
28-06-2023
AOR Received.
15-08-2023
Hi,
One more question:
Would I be able to travel outside Canada (to Europe) and come back (not via USA) if I have received portal 1 but not portal 2 yet? If I reply to the portal 1 email to let them know the dates, can they delay portal2 until I get back? When does the virtual landing process start?