+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vehicle Registration and License import and exporting

importcar729

Aug 17, 2020
Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance. I was working in US on H1 and i have PR. During this pandemic, i moved to Ontario to my family with my car which has US registration & License plates. Now i have decided to stay in Canada and exchange my License and My car registration to Ontario. As i am already in Canada what would be the procedure to export and import the vehicle to Canada. I read about the procedure about informing the us customs for export and then importing through RIV. But i am very much confused as i am already in Canada and i dont have valid visa to go to back to US and export the vehicle. Any suggestions or help is much appreciated.

Regards.

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
My friend is in same condition exactly like you..
Many recommended to import car in canada without exporting from USA.. The problem is that you cannot take car to usa in future..

Other option is to wait for covid to end and take somebody's help who has visa to goto usa side..

Let me know if you find more solutions so i can tell my friend..

importcar729

Aug 17, 2020
After last night research, i also ended up with same conclusion. If we dont have any intention of going back to US. We can just import the car and never go back to US. For just importing in canada...do we have to go border i mean CBSA or we can do online?

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
After last night research, i also ended up with same conclusion. If we dont have any intention of going back to US. We can just import the car and never go back to US. For just importing in canada...do we have to go border i mean CBSA or we can do online?
It cannot be done online thats sure.. But i read somewhere it can be done in a full services CBSA office near you to get form1 and not necessary to go border.. We have not tried it yet... We are in GTA and want to try that out soon but not able to identify which office to go to.. Where are u located?
If your license plate or US license is not expiring soon then you may continue with it if you have to go back to US...
But if you want to settle down here then definitely you need to change both license plate and license...

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
So what happened.. No reply?
Did you see my reply above?