+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vancouver - can some one please advice?

askme

Mar 31, 2014
Hi. I am currently working in Toronto (landed last year). I plan to move to Vancouver from June/July to start my post grad. I was hoping some one could advice me on where to settle in, keeping in mind the following details:

- 3 people (my parents & I)
- Price range is $1200-$1500 (From what I know Vancouver is really expensive)
- Would prefer a place that is up to 60 mins away from University of British Columbia (by public transit)

Thanks a lot.. and God bless.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What do you mean by "value for money"?

Perhaps, you should go through websites such as rentbc.com and craiglist first to find suitable settlement.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
I think it means if he pays a lot of money for rent - he is expecting the place to be fairly decent rather than paying a ton for a crappy apartment

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The transit system here works very well, IMHO, which provides quite a few viable options for you. Richmond (near YVR airport) is close to the Canada Line train that connects Richmond and YVR airport with Waterfront Station downtown (the terminus station for Canada Line and Skytrain).

The UBC Vancouver campus is only accessible via bus, if you need to use public transit. The estimated travel time from downtown would be ~ 30 minutes.

The Skytrain radius that you might consider would include areas like Burnaby, South Vancouver (near the Canada Line), and the West side of New Westminster, to get you to Point Grey (UBC) in ~ 60 minutes total travel time. Obviously, areas closer to downtown will be more expensive.

Housing is expensive, but the aforementioned areas are all likely to have several choices for you to explore. Craigslist is certainly a good place to start your search. Kitsilano would be a great area, but it might be difficult to match your budget with your expectations.

Oh...and you can *almost* toss your snow shovel(s)!

Good luck!

askme

Mar 31, 2014
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

So, which of these areas would you recommend, in terms of cheaper accomodation (we're looking at a 1 room condo, with a common area)?

askme

Mar 31, 2014
steaky said:

Perhaps, you should go through websites such as rentbc.com and craiglist first to find suitable settlement.

I meant a reasonable/cheap accomodation option available in that price range.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
askme said:
I meant a reasonable/cheap accomodation option available in that price range.
Well, you can easily get a 1 bedroom condo in your price range. Like I said check those rental listings website and use translink.ca as a tool to narrow your selections in finding suitable to your taste.

Yan Shrader

Apr 11, 2014
askme said:
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

So, which of these areas would you recommend, in terms of cheaper accomodation (we're looking at a 1 room condo, with a common area)?
I will recommended you to find the neighborhoods listed that best matched your criteria and within your cheaper accommodation. For this you can choice Navut.com website. it will help you. Because once i got moving help from navut website. so i hope you can find your right choice area. thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yan Shrader said:
I will recommended you to find the neighborhoods listed that best matched your criteria and within your cheaper accommodation. For this you can choice Navut.com website. it will help you. Because once i got moving help from navut website. so i hope you can find your right choice area. thanks.
It seems to me you create a new profile after making only 1 or 2 post. Could you give us more details how that website helped you?

MikeJones2014

May 3, 2014
steaky said:
It seems to me you create a new profile after making only 1 or 2 post. Could you give us more details how that website helped you?
I think he want to give you his website information. Did you check in navut.com website ?