+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validity of wife's open work permit (OPW)

Moksh

Sep 28, 2013
I know this topic has been discussed earlier on this forum and I read those threads but I am still confused. So, here I am with my question looking for a clearer answers, hoping for informed guidance from the audience here!

Situation: I am working in Canada on a closed work permit for my company for the past 6 months. My work permit is valid until Apr 2015. My wife got an open work permit (OPW) at the time my work permit was issued but she is not yet working here (she is working in USA on H1B). Now, I am facing a situation that I might lose my job here.

Q1. If I lose my job, will my wife's OPW still be valid?
Q2. If I lose my job, can I continue to stay here while I look for another employment (and a sponsor for my new work permit). If yes, how long can I stay?

P.S. Me and my wife, we want to settle in Canada and I had planned to apply for PR under CEC after completing one year in employment (my job falls in the required category). However, I did not expect this situation (that I might lose my job before completing one year). Any alternatives or options that you can suggest for my situation will also be greatly appreciated!

sidejacker

Sep 11, 2013
Moksh said:
I know this topic has been discussed earlier on this forum and I read those threads but I am still confused. So, here I am with my question looking for a clearer answers, hoping for informed guidance from the audience here!

Situation: I am working in Canada on a closed work permit for my company for the past 6 months. My work permit is valid until Apr 2015. My wife got an open work permit (OPW) at the time my work permit was issued but she is not yet working here (she is working in USA on H1B). Now, I am facing a situation that I might
lose my job here.

Q1. If I lose my job, will my wife's OPW still be valid?
Q2. If I lose my job, can I continue to stay here while I look for another employment (and a sponsor for my new work permit). If yes, how long can I stay?

P.S. Me and my wife, we want to settle in Canada and I had planned to apply for PR under CEC after completing one year in employment (my job falls in the required category). However, I did not expect this situation (that I might lose my job before completing one year). Any alternatives or options that you can suggest for my situation will also be greatly appreciated!

Should you lose your job - your wife's owp will be cancelled.

You can stay for the duration of your work permit just don't work illegally.