+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validity of medical exam extension

Weronika

Sep 28, 2014
The VO asked for an extension of my husband's medical last October. They were ready to grant him PR, but he did not have sufficient time to enter Canada.

We have now seen that his status has changed to DM in the ECAS and hope that it means the extension was granted and that he will receive the PR.

If the validity was extended, would it be for another 12 months, or could it be only for 1, 3 or 6 months?

We hope it will not be very short notice again and we can make sure he is in a position to enter Canada when required. Any advice on that front would be very welcomed.

Many thanks for your time.

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
Weronika said:
The VO asked for an extension of my husband's medical last October. They were ready to grant him PR, but he did not have sufficient time to enter Canada.

We have now seen that his status has changed to DM in the ECAS and hope that it means the extension was granted and that he will receive the PR.

If the validity was extended, would it be for another 12 months, or could it be only for 1, 3 or 6 months?

We hope it will not be very short notice again and we can make sure he is in a position to enter Canada when required. Any advice on that front would be very welcomed.

Many thanks for your time.
Vo can extend medical results upto 3 months. Looks like you got an extension. If you dont land by then you will need new medicals.

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
canuck_in_uk said:
Incorrect. Medicals can be extended for up to a year.
you are right. If medicals were done within the past 15 months, and processing of your application is complete, and only medical is preventing final decision, an officer may request upto a 12 month extension. Your Copr will have the validity of your medical.

Weronika

Sep 28, 2014
Many thanks for the prompt responses.

If I understand correctly, all depends on the officer who can request up to 12 months, but it could be less as well?

So basically, it is impossible to figure out what will be the time left to enter Canada, upon reception of the COPR. It could be a week or 6 months?

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
Weronika said:
Many thanks for the prompt responses.

If I understand correctly, all depends on the officer who can request up to 12 months, but it could be less as well?

So basically, it is impossible to figure out what will be the time left to enter Canada, upon reception of the COPR. It could be a week or 6 months?
upon reception of COPR, you will know how long you have left. The Copr has date by which you should land, and date medicals expire too. The date to land is no longer than medical expiration date, or passport validity date which ever comes first.

ydj_dil

Apr 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-May-2014
AOR Received.
28-Jul-2014
File Transfer...
01-Aug-2014
Med's Done....
01-Nov-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-Mar-2015
Just wanted to say that this happened to me too. My wife in India was too shocked to respond Yes in the phone call when they offered PR but by flying within few days. So, they sent us a remedical request, which we complied. We are waiting for DM, currently in IP since Nov 1st. Which Visa office are you with? We are with NDVO.

Noluck1234

Dec 23, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Amman
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-04-2015
LANDED..........
21-01-2016
Can someone help me understand how long extension will be for?

Nitz_Au

Jan 26, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
June 30,2016
Med's Request
Medical Passed July18
Passport Req..
Nov 17,2016
LANDED..........
June 28,2017
Guys I need guidance please,
I recently added my spouse to my file after getting PPR. I haven't landed yet and medical is expiring and haven't got any request from CIC asking for new medical. I just wanted to know if I'll be the one who'll be sending request to CIC to extend my Medical or they're the one going to send me an extension request?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Nitz_Au said:
I recently added my spouse to my file after getting PPR. I haven't landed yet and medical is expiring and haven't got any request from CIC asking for new medical. I just wanted to know if I'll be the one who'll be sending request to CIC to extend my Medical or they're the one going to send me an extension request?
You need to just wait for the VO to contact you. They will either grant the extension or request a new medical.

Mr.White

Sep 23, 2015
Nitz_Au said:
Any News?

I'm in the same situation..

Thanks.

vijay1987

Feb 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec-2012 Refused 2014- Reopened Jan 2016
Med's Request
Jan-2016
Med's Done....
Feb-2016
Passport Req..
01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
5-2017
LANDED..........
Hoping soon
canuck_in_uk said:
You need to just wait for the VO to contact you. They will either grant the extension or request a new medical.
Hi Guys i hope some one can answer my question.. i am in outland spouse application and my wife sponsering me

Let me come to the point directly ..My medical expired in feb 1st week 2017... my wife went to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Immigration office last week in canada and my wife explained her situation that she is pregnant and need my support... they did the equiry and gave a call for my wife and told that they were waiting for security check, most probabily they will do in one or two month...another thing he said is confusing for me i am not sur whether it is possible or not... what he said is he told the office to extent my medical for 3 more months??!!!

Please some senior guys can share you idea on this...
Is it possible that they can extent my medical for 3 months more?

AAKhan101

Aug 18, 2023
My medical expiry got extended for 12 months but background check still in progress, anyone know how long does similar cases take?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My medical expiry got extended for 12 months but background check still in progress, anyone know how long does similar cases take?
They seem to - usually - extend the medical fairly close to a point at which they're about to take a decision for which the extension is needed. But impossible for anyone to be more specific than that.

Reactions: AAKhan101