+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vaccination for the child after arrival (proceeding the immunisation program)

Mk85

Aug 29, 2018
Hello dears,

I'm coming to Canada on a study permit, and my spouse and kid will have visitor visas.

How soon can I proceed with the immunisation schedule for my kid after entering Canada?
I'm asking if there will be considerable delays till we get a family doctor or health insurance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Depending on where you are studying your family may not have access to healthcare and will need to purchase medical insurance for emergencies. They are under visitor visas. Most provinces to provide immunizations programs through public health. The goal is really to help protect vulnerable Canadians from non-vaccinated individuals. You will have to see whether they are able to access those services.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to look at your school and whether it provides health insurance for your dependents. Otherwise you will have to purchase insurance yourself or pay cash. You definitely need to have some form of emergency coverage for your family in case they have to go to the hospital. Yes you will likely be provided certain vaccinations for free. You will have to contact the local CLSC about any vaccination clinics they may offer to dependents of international students. If your school provides health insurance you should be going through them.