+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vacation pay?

884Thunder

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Hello everybody,
I have a question about vacation pay,
I am currently in Canada on work permit, I worked for 4 years straight without taking any paid vacation, so my question is:
I am planning to take this year vacation so can I use that paid vacation from previous 4 years that I didn't use?
And If my employer refuse to pay me what is my opinion by law?
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everybody,
I have a question about vacation pay,
I am currently in Canada on work permit, I worked for 4 years straight without taking any paid vacation, so my question is:
I am planning to take this year vacation so can I use that paid vacation from previous 4 years that I didn't use?
And If my employer refuse to pay me what is my opinion by law?
Thanks
It depends on the company policy. Some allow you to carry over some unused vacations into the following year and some don't. Typically you cannot carry over all of your unused vacations days into future years. Typically you can only carry over a few or you don't carry over any (i.e. use it or lose it).

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Vacation pay and the usage is generally determined by a Union contract, then Company Policy. If no Union Contract, then Company Policy. Did the company pay you vacation pay already ? Generally vacation pay is 4 percent or 6 percent dependent how long you have been with the company, and they will pay you that on your pay cheque. Anything to do with vacation pay is handled by the province you are in, not federally unless you work for something under the Federal Jurisdiction. Examples, airlines, railroads, banks

884Thunder

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
That is too general of a question to ask. Have you checked your company policy and or union contract, failing that the provincial labour code from your province?
I am in Alberta
No I didn't get anything on my paychecks, I just couldn't take vacation because my company was already short with staff so I couldn't get any. Now I am planning to take some vacation so thats why I am curious if I can get that unpaid vacation.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
I am in Alberta
No I didn't get anything on my paychecks, I just couldn't take vacation because my company was already short with staff so I couldn't get any. Now I am planning to take some vacation so thats why I am curious if I can get that unpaid vacation.
You should check with your HR on the company policy. There is no requirement by law that all unused vacation for the previous years should be given away / carry forwarded. It is a benefit that company gives.

884Thunder

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Thanks for your help.
I work for small convenience store, we don't have HR but I will see what my boss will say.I just wanted to make sure if he refuse to pay what my opinion would be and if I am protected by labor law in that situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You may be an hourly wage worker which normally doesn't come with vacation pay. Most employers also don't allow for people to take large chunks of time off unless a sabbatical has been arranged. Have you read your work contract?

884Thunder

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
You may be an hourly wage worker which normally doesn't come with vacation pay. Most employers also don't allow for people to take large chunks of time off unless a sabbatical has been arranged. Have you read your work contract?
Yes you are right I am hourly wage worker.At my contact it's said that I have 2 weeks paid vacation annually.Only confusion is that if I am allowed to use that unpaid vacation from previous years. Any recommendation who should I contact in Alberta to get more accurate informations?