+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USPS Change of address / Mail forwarding from US to Canada

d_io_

Feb 4, 2024
Hi everyone,

I've looked at a few threads on this site before for this answer, but couldn't find anything all that helpful. I just moved back to Canada after having lived in the US for a year. Apparently you were supposed to visit the USPS in-office before you moved countries in order to inform them so they can forward your mail, which I didn't do. Looking online, the USPS says to do the following (https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Change-of-Address-The-Basics#No_change_filed):

The third bullet point is what's relevant to me. It says I'll need an authorization letter, which can only be provided by an authorized agent. Does anyone know how to get an authorized agent? From what I've read online, this is apparently an entire legal process where I find someone willing, and we both get a document notarized for them to act on my behalf. This seems like overkill just to update my address, and I'm not even sure where to start if I wanted to do it anyway. I also believe the notarization process has to be in-person in the US, which sort of defeats the purpose since I could just visit the USPS in-person anyway.

Does anyone have any more information? Or is there an alternative, easier way? I believe you used to be able to just mail PS Form 3575, but they have removed that from their website, so I'm not sure if they still honour those requests.

Thanks