+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Use a law firm?

Dipanker

Jan 1, 2014
Hi Guys,

I have been a Canadian PR for about 9 years - I was going to start applying for my citizenship and was thinking about using a law firm. The reasons for using the law firm are 1) they probably know the process thoroughly and 2) I will be moving abroad for the short term because of my career so will not be here in person unless I need to be (travelling back is not a huge inconvinience but I would definitely have to use some vacation days). I was going to put in my application before I actually leave. Does anybody here know about the costs, pros, cons, and have a recommendation for a law firm (I am based in Toronto). Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dipanker

canmanottawa

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
I suggest to reconsider your choices before you apply for the following reasons...

1. CIC might ask for finger prints, an interview, RQ while you are away, will you come back just for these things? you law firm cant fill them or do the interviews on your behalf .
2. CIC might give you some really hard time and long processing time because you live abroad.
3. The law firm will cost alot
4. If I was you I will renew my PR card and go for work and apply when I am back .

Wish you the best.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I see no problem getting a law firm to represent you in citizenship application if you do not mind paying for the serviced rendered.

You can apply for citizenship and live/work abroad as long you can maintain your PR status by living in Canada 2 out of five years. CIC most likely will give you RQ but eventually they will have to give you citizenship since you lived here 1095 days prior to applying.

The most important factor is that you have to maintain your PR status by living in Canada 730 days every five years and I am sure a law firm will advise you that as well.

ramsfe

Nov 15, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well, a law firm won't be able to do all the work for you! All they can do is to help you fill the forms. You will still need to sign them yourself.

Apply ASAP because it seems that the law will change soon so don't take any chances.

As for going abroad after applying, yes you can in theory, but you will stand the chance to get RQed. My suggestion is that you apply ASAP and that you try your best to wait at least during the first few months after sending your application as things seem to be moving quite quickly at CIC nowadays, after you leave you will still need an address in Canada and you will need to be able to reply to CIC quite quickly when they will send you information requests, RQ etc etc...

Dipanker

Jan 1, 2014
Thank you for the replys

Canmanottawa: I could wait until I get back but the problem is then I would have to wait another x years (whatever it is that they change it to after this year) after I am back to apply again.

Everyone: I don't see why the CIC should care or why I would get RQ'd for the specific reason that I am temporarily working abroad given that I have more than fulfilled (I have been here 4 out of the past 4 years) the residency requirements and am otherwise a model citizen. Is that an unwritten rule or something they have discretion over? I have family here and will be using their address and they will inform me promptly if anything is required so I don't think that will be a problem. Also citizenship is important enough that I do not mind flying here for interviews, finger prints etc.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Dipanker said:
Thank you for the replys

Everyone: I don't see why the CIC should care or why I would get RQ'd for the specific reason that I am temporarily working abroad given that I have more than fulfilled (I have been here 4 out of the past 4 years) the residency requirements and am otherwise a model citizen. Is that an unwritten rule or something they have discretion over? I have family here and will be using their address and they will inform me promptly if anything is required so I don't think that will be a problem. Also citizenship is important enough that I do not mind flying here for interviews, finger prints etc.
Leaving Canada after applying for citizenship is frowned upon by the current government and that has carried over into the culture at CIC. There is no law against leaving the country after applying for citizenship. They can't refuse your application because of it, but they can delay, delay and delay it some more to the point where you have failed to fulfill PR obligations--if you don't come back fast enough.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
About using a law form for citizenship applications: Be very careful. I spoke to a number of law firms who were ready to take money, but appeared to have no idea what they were doing.

Until recently, citizenship applications were considered almost a formality. Few law firms have extensive experience in citizenship issues. The attitude has been "you can do it yourself." Many aren't familiar with the newer more stringent culture at CIC regarding citizenship applications and as such it is possible to get bad advice.

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
Until recently, citizenship applications were considered almost a formality.
Very true. In what seems to be a formality of a paper work, the conservatives are able to create such huge bureaucratic logjam. Law firms never had a business in these matters before. Now they started to get their business on citizenship applications too, if not for the application itself many of them are being engaged in the writ of mandamus on an allegedly prolonged citizenship processing by CIC.

To the OP, I would suggest that not to involve a lawyer for your application itself, if it is fairly straightforward (ex: without any refuge claim, record and sorts). One way or the other CIC will sniff on your out of country travel and that will certainly itch their nose. By that time one of these could happen:
  • You could get, God forbid that not to happen, an RQ in which case CIC's already well know lethargy will get past the stipulated 35 months time frame and you can then consider a lawyer for a writ of mandamus.
  • You could get, God willing that to happen, your citizenship pretty much within the 24 months time frame that CIC has stipulated for a routine application in a fairly straight forward manner. then your allocated funds for a law firm can be used for a nice vacation somewhere warm
  • You are highly likely going to be pulled past the upcoming elections in citizenship processing even if you applied this day. In which case its very highly likely that the Liberals easily win a majority and in 6 months of time frame they bring the CIC in order.

Hope this helps.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
  • CanuckForEver said:
    • You are highly likely going to be pulled past the upcoming elections in citizenship processing even if you applied this day. In which case its very highly likely that the Liberals easily win a majority and in 6 months of time frame they bring the CIC in order.
    We can only hope!

diniga

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
Use a law firm is not the solution for you and as i see you are totally aware of the physical residency requirement.
The only thing to do here is apply and do the go and back while asked. that is the best choice for you now.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
  • CanuckForEver said:

Hope this helps.
    Just curious in what way the Liberals or anyone else for that matter will achieve this timeline - is there some election manifesto with specifics?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Recent News articles and polls on credibility and popularity (or lack thereof) of the govt of the day seem to be increasing.

In the big picture, things cant remain the same forever. Even down South the depressing Bush years came to an end one fine day ;D

CanuckForEver

Feb 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
  • Just curious in what way the Liberals or anyone else for that matter will achieve this timeline - is there some election manifesto with specifics?
Many liberal MPs have already spoken to that effect that the whole RQ process is a scam and needs to be streamlined if not eradicated which is the fate it deserves in my opinion. Conservative's strategy on gerrymandering is this RQ process which is not the underlying principle for neither Liberals nor NDP as they themselves are from Quebec the seat of minorities and multiculturalism against the conservatives' base from the prairies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19zJbdbCmEo

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
CanuckForEver said:
Many liberal MPs have already spoken to that effect that the whole RQ process is a scam and needs to be streamlined if not eradicated which is the fate it deserves in my opinion. Conservative's strategy on gerrymandering is this RQ process which is not the underlying principle for neither Liberals nor NDP as they themselves are from Quebec the seat of minorities and multiculturalism against the conservatives' base from the prairies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19zJbdbCmEo
Quebec is the seat of multi-culturalism?