+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA visa for Canadian Perm residents

Adrina

Feb 19, 2011
HI all

last time I flew to my home country I flew through the USA, I landed there to take another flight

I have my american visa from my home country but the officers at US customs told me since I am now a Canadian Permanent resident I now require another visa for such, does anybody know something about this visa for canadian permanent residents? how to get it, time and cost??

Hentaznel

Star Member
Aug 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi..
we are in the same boat.
I am a permanent resident in Canada but then my hubby cant stand winter so I need to get a US visa cas we gotta go Arizona or Florida for winter times..

PLS GIVE US SOME INFO!!

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Adrina said:
HI all

last time I flew to my home country I flew through the USA, I landed there to take another flight

I have my american visa from my home country but the officers at US customs told me since I am now a Canadian Permanent resident I now require another visa for such, does anybody know something about this visa for canadian permanent residents? how to get it, time and cost??
This is new to me. A US visa is a US visa as long as it is the same type of visa. However Canadian PRs are normally given 10 year validity B1/B2 (tourist/business) visa.

What type of visa did you have from your home country? B1/B2, H1-B, J1 etc?

Adrina

Feb 19, 2011
Hi there, I have a B1/B2 visa, what you say makes sense, a visa is a visa

but the officer at US customs told me that another visa is required for canadian permanent residents

my home country is in Mexico so I have to fly through the States at times because it is cheaper

but I was not expecting this new visa thing.... I have donde some research but nobody knows...

???

Alabaman

Apr 24, 2009
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So when you were at immigration they didnt allow you enter the US? What actually happened? When does your current B1/B2 visa expire?

You can also email the closest US consulate to you explaining what happens. If they say you can use your current visa then print out the email and always take it with you when you travel.

Adrina

Feb 19, 2011
Yes I was allowed to land in the States,the officer said I should get that other visa once I landed again in Canada, but nobody seems to know about it...