Dec 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2011
My husband is a PR and has been in Canada for 1 year and 2 months. I am a Canadian Citizen. We want to travel to Las Vegas, NV together in November 2013 for my birthday.

We are reviewing all the requirements for the visitor visa application and I am wondering what is the best approach for proving that he has sufficient funds for the trip. He currently has just over $5,000 in his bank account and has had the same part time job (approx. 30 hours per week) since January 2013. I have over $25k in my bank account and was wondering if it would be best if we say that I will be paying his expenses for the trip? In reality I will be paying for the majority of the expenses, although he will contribute what is reasonable. Do you think this is the best approach or is the $5,000 he has sufficient proof that he has sufficient funds for the trip? I want to do what will give us the best chance of getting the visa approved.

If we do say that I will be paying for the trip on the DS-160 form, how can I provide "sponsor documents", since I am not a US citizen sponsoring his trip, as is normally the case? I have reviewed all the sponsor documents and I can provide things like a letter saying I am responsible for all his costs during the trip, my pay slips, bank statements, tax return, etc. but it doesn't make sense to fill out an I-134, does it?. Also, at what point would these document be presented? In the interview and only if they are requested by the IO?

If anyone has had a similar case I would be interested to hear any advice or suggestions you can provide.

Sarnia

Aug 21, 2012
I don't think the Embassy cares about who will pay for the trip. Have your husband submit BOTH of your bank statements. With a combined balance of over 30K, he should be fine as far as proving financial resources goes.

The Embassy will probably be MORE interested in your husband's ties to Canada and evidence that he will leave the U.S. after his visit. So, your husband should provide employment letters, pay stubs, tax returns, and supporting documents from both of you. He should also be prepared to provide detailed answers about his work, where he lives, family in Canada, and other personal details. Sometimes, the visa officers can REALLY grill the applicants. Google "214(b)".

By the way, all of the documents are presented to the visa officer at the time of the interview.

gatita71

Dec 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2011
Thanks Sarnia, I appreciate your advice. I realize that proving ties to Canada will really determine whether or not the visa is granted and so we will have all possible proof (for both of us) ready and available for the interview.

I have read a few comments in forums from applicants who have been denied a visitor's visa without the IO even looking at any of their supporting documentation. This seems rather unfair. Does anyone know if this is common or do they usually look at the proof you bring to the interview before making a decision?