+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Vehicle, was Living in Canada under student visa, now have PR

buriedinpine

Feb 4, 2013
Hello friendly message board lurkers!

I have been trying to get an answer to my question, I have done my research on official websites and message boards, but unfortunately I cannot find an answer.

My wife and I have been living in Canada for over three years now and we were recently granted PR status on Feb. 1, 2013. (Very excited and thankful!) At the time that we crossed the border from Canada to the US then back to Canada (to obtain PR status), we were given some information on vehicle importation, but not much.

The friendly border guards on the Canadian side filled out a goods to follow form that would allow us to import our vehicle without paying taxes. We did not begin the import/export process on the vehicle when we obtained our PR status. We were told that we would need to export the vehicle from the US first. The lady on the Canadian side said that we could be fined up to $5,000 if we began the importation process before we exported the vehicle through Customs and Border Protection (US).

While it would generally not be an issue completing the import/export process, my wife and I have a trip planned to the US on March 6-March 11 where we will be crossing the US/Canada border in our US licensed vehicle that has not begun the import/export process. I know that I am supposed to contact CBP regarding exporting the vehicle "at least 3 days prior to the export". My question is: Do I begin the export process now or should I wait until after my trip? Since my wife and I have lived in Canada for 3 years now, I would consider us to be residents of Canada. If I begin the export process now, will I be able to drive the car in the US (with US plates) even though the vehicle has been exported? If anybody has any insight, I would greatly appreciate an explanation of my best course of action at this point.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as this is causing me a great deal of anxiety. I would postpone our trip to the US, buy my wife's sister is graduating from Officer Candidacy School in the Navy and it is likely that we will not see said sister again for several years.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

buriedinpine said:
Hello friendly message board lurkers!

I have been trying to get an answer to my question, I have done my research on official websites and message boards, but unfortunately I cannot find an answer.

My wife and I have been living in Canada for over three years now and we were recently granted PR status on Feb. 1, 2013. (Very excited and thankful!) At the time that we crossed the border from Canada to the US then back to Canada (to obtain PR status), we were given some information on vehicle importation, but not much.

The friendly border guards on the Canadian side filled out a goods to follow form that would allow us to import our vehicle without paying taxes. We did not begin the import/export process on the vehicle when we obtained our PR status. We were told that we would need to export the vehicle from the US first. The lady on the Canadian side said that we could be fined up to $5,000 if we began the importation process before we exported the vehicle through Customs and Border Protection (US).

While it would generally not be an issue completing the import/export process, my wife and I have a trip planned to the US on March 6-March 11 where we will be crossing the US/Canada border in our US licensed vehicle that has not begun the import/export process. I know that I am supposed to contact CBP regarding exporting the vehicle "at least 3 days prior to the export". My question is: Do I begin the export process now or should I wait until after my trip? Since my wife and I have lived in Canada for 3 years now, I would consider us to be residents of Canada. If I begin the export process now, will I be able to drive the car in the US (with US plates) even though the vehicle has been exported? If anybody has any insight, I would greatly appreciate an explanation of my best course of action at this point.

Any information would be greatly appreciated as this is causing me a great deal of anxiety. I would postpone our trip to the US, buy my wife's sister is graduating from Officer Candidacy School in the Navy and it is likely that we will not see said sister again for several years.
1. Start the export process now. Read http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml You fax a copy of the title to the export office in the US where you will return to Canada. Note the location of the office, as most are not directly at the Border and most are only open Monday to Friday 8-8
2. Get a recall notice from the manufacturer in the US. All recalls have to be done.
3. Follow the instructions here: http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx for import instructions.