+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US to Canada

USAZNGRL

Jan 24, 2018
Hi everyone,
This is my first time doing any sort of forum so please bare with me. I live in US and have been dating my Canadian boyfriend for almost 6 years now. We've both traveled back and forth to see each other etc. So show of proof that our relationship is genuine is not a problem. We have absolutely no direction on where to start in terms of starting the moving process to live together in Longueuil, QC. So if you all can kindly guide me, we'd like to know how to start this process so we can finally live together. Also will we need to get married to be together? We're quite young and in love, but would love to wait for marriage when we're more financially stable. However, if we have to legally get married in order to be together then we're up for it. We'll just put our cultural weddings on hold until we have the finance to have them. Thanks!

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Congrats on your first post... I'm in Brossard, so you're just up the road from me. Are you coming from NY or VT? Anyway, since you're not married yet, I believe you'd need to be able to prove that you've lived together for a year. Doesn't sound like that's the case either, so this link may have some info for you...

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

You may also want to check the other immigration streams there, there may be another option for you to immigrate depending on your specific situation. This forum is an awesome source of info, be sure to check out the family immigration area of the forum as well. Best of luck!

Hi everyone,
This is my first time doing any sort of forum so please bare with me. I live in US and have been dating my Canadian boyfriend for almost 6 years now. We've both traveled back and forth to see each other etc. So show of proof that our relationship is genuine is not a problem. We have absolutely no direction on where to start in terms of starting the moving process to live together in Longueuil, QC. So if you all can kindly guide me, we'd like to know how to start this process so we can finally live together. Also will we need to get married to be together? We're quite young and in love, but would love to wait for marriage when we're more financially stable. However, if we have to legally get married in order to be together then we're up for it. We'll just put our cultural weddings on hold until we have the finance to have them. Thanks!

Reactions: USAZNGRL

USAZNGRL

Jan 24, 2018
Congrats on your first post... I'm in Brossard, so you're just up the road from me. Are you coming from NY or VT? Anyway, since you're not married yet, I believe you'd need to be able to prove that you've lived together for a year. Doesn't sound like that's the case either, so this link may have some info for you...

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

You may also want to check the other immigration streams there, there may be another option for you to immigrate depending on your specific situation. This forum is an awesome source of info, be sure to check out the family immigration area of the forum as well. Best of luck!
Hello friend, I'm actually from California! Thank you for your response.

Betula

Aug 30, 2017
Category........
QSW
I also think you should look at immigration for work, for example, since you cannot show cohabitation for the required amount of time. You could try to find a job here and apply for a work permit. If you can get a work permit and live with your boyfriend for a year, then you could try the spousal sponsoring program, which could be faster than applying for worker categories in Quebec.

You could also see if you have enough points without a job offer to start permanent residency application from outside Canada.The skilled worker program for permanent residency in Quebec is unfortunately very very slow (mine took 6 months through CSQ and 14 months through federal PR and that is actually fast average...), but express entry in other provinces can get you in as fast as 6 months total. You might have some trouble moving into Quebec at the beginning though, in terms of getting into the healthcare system etc. because technically your intention was to reside in another province if you chose Express entry...

Reactions: USAZNGRL

USAZNGRL

Jan 24, 2018
I also think you should look at immigration for work, for example, since you cannot show cohabitation for the required amount of time. You could try to find a job here and apply for a work permit. If you can get a work permit and live with your boyfriend for a year, then you could try the spousal sponsoring program, which could be faster than applying for worker categories in Quebec.

You could also see if you have enough points without a job offer to start permanent residency application from outside Canada.The skilled worker program for permanent residency in Quebec is unfortunately very very slow (mine took 6 months through CSQ and 14 months through federal PR and that is actually fast average...), but express entry in other provinces can get you in as fast as 6 months total. You might have some trouble moving into Quebec at the beginning though, in terms of getting into the healthcare system etc. because technically your intention was to reside in another province if you chose Express entry...
Oh wow, thank you very much. I'll look into this option! :)