+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US taxes on rental income - impact on CRA returns/filing

fmartins2003

Jul 31, 2018
Dear all, I am now a PR in Canada, and will have to file taxes on both US and Canada for at least 2 years still (and hopefully not longer...).

I have rental properties in the US. I have had profits/income out of those properties in 2019. As of today (march 2020) I have not yet paid the USA income tax on that rental. That will be done when I file 2019/2020 tax returns, in July (I have to ask for deadline extension in the US every year). In Canada, I hope to file on time in April (next month). How do I credit myself, in Canada, for that income tax (on that rental) that I have not yet paid in the US, but I know i will have to?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dear all, I am now a PR in Canada, and will have to file taxes on both US and Canada for at least 2 years still (and hopefully not longer...).

I have rental properties in the US. I have had profits/income out of those properties in 2019. As of today (march 2020) I have not yet paid the USA income tax on that rental. That will be done when I file 2019/2020 tax returns, in July (I have to ask for deadline extension in the US every year). In Canada, I hope to file on time in April (next month). How do I credit myself, in Canada, for that income tax (on that rental) that I have not yet paid in the US, but I know i will have to?
Plug the US numbers in to a calculator and get an estimate. File your Canadian taxes using the estimate and then submit an amendment when you get your actual US numbers.

fmartins2003

Jul 31, 2018
That simple, eh? I thought of doing that, but I figured it could be more complicated. Good to know. Simplifies (or delays) the problem. thank you!