+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(US/Outland/Ottawa) FBI Clearance Request EMail today, but they should have it!

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Batch EMail: 23-10-15
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
DM: 15/2/2016
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 23/2/2016
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
On October 23rd, I got a batch Email asking for additional documents. I knew this would happen, because I had been waiting for my FBI clearance and waiting for then to be ready for me to send it in. So this first Email was not surprising at all.

On November 12th I mailed in my FBI record, more documents proving my sponsor lives and works in Canada, and a cover letter with this batch detailing my name, UCI, App number, my signature, and a bullet list of all documents included. My courier marked this as delivered and signed for on November 16th.

Today (November 25th) I got this EMail below. Is it time to panic now? Has my FBI clearance been lost? Or is this common?

My biggest concern of all is that they appear to refuse to acknowledge receipt of documents from this Email (below) and, well, how in the world can I know if my FBI record was somehow lost if they refuse to acknowledge it in the first place?

(Email following, censored for personal information only)

Dear ******** (my name):

This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada.

In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:

*****(my name and UCI) *******:

Ø FBI Clearance: If your residence period in the USA has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original FBI clearance certificate

Please note:
All documents must be accompanied by English or French translations. When original documents are requested, notarised documents are not acceptable.

Instructions to obtain Original Police Certificates can be found on our website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp.

Note: Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not accept FBI police certificates issued by FBI-approved third party private companies. Only police certificates issued directly by the FBI will be accepted (Option 1).
Processing times are normally between 16 and 18 weeks. The FBI will send you a letter with the results of their record check. That letter will be your police certificate. You should send the letter and any attached documents to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office processing your file. All police certificates must be originals. Photocopies will not be accepted by our office.

The above information/documents must be received in our office within 60 days from the date of this letter. Failure to do so could result in the refusal and/or delay of your application.

Additional documents may be requested by the Visa Officer upon the complete assessment of your application.

If we have asked you to send us several documents, you are required to submit all the documents together. Do not send documents one at a time. You should include your name and file number (which is indicated in the subject line) in all your correspondence.
We do not acknowledge receipt of mail or documents. If you send mail by courier to our office and you want to ensure that it has arrived, please check with the courier company. We will not respond to enquiries asking to confirm receipt of documents/emails/ information.

If you are unable to submit the requested document(s) within the timeframe given, you must notify our office before the due date ­and you must provide an explanation as to why you are unable to submit the documents within the given timeframe.

If you do not answer all questions and provide all the documents requested, this will cause delays in the processing of your application. If a question does not apply to you please write 'N/A' or 'Not Applicable.' Do not leave the answer blank. You must answer all questions in English or French.

It is your responsibility to ensure that the information you provide our office is accurate and up-to-date. Please inform us immediately if there are any changes to the information or documents you have submitted.

If we do not receive a response within the time allotted to you from the date of this notice, a decision will be made based on the information on your file, which could result in the refusal of your application.

Please quote your complete application number on your correspondence and send your correspondence to CPC-Ottawa at the address indicated below.

Thank you for the interest you have shown in Canada.

Regards,

(their address)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ug...the incompetence!

Send the proof that your FBI IHSR was received by CIC in a Case Specific Enquiry, which you can do, here:
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

You should also send a copy of your FBI IHSR (please say that you did make/keep a copy for your records) to the fax number that would have been on the letter from CIC. Tell them that you are (obviously) sending a facsimile of something that they already have...somewhere.

Lastly, ask the local MP in your riding to contact CIC for you, to alert them of this matter. The MP's office has a direct line with CIC (email), so they can at least convey the message to them on your behalf.

To make matters worse, even if you are somehow able to get this information to CIC, they likely won't do anything until after the 60 days have passed.

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
Thank you so much for your response. I've sent a message using the form you provided, and attached a scan of my FBI clearance as well as a screenshot from the Canada Post website showing that they've received the documents I sent (including even the signature of the person who received it!)

I'm planning to write my MP as well. Should I have my husband write the email? He's the Canadian citizen.

Edit: Another question: What are the chances this was sent by mistake, and they already DO have my FBI record but they just haven't communicated this amongst themselves? AKA - the 'nothing to worry about' situation? (The one we all want...)

JamesinCanada

Star Member
Jan 23, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-05-2015
Doc's Request.
25-11-2015
AOR Received.
25-05-2015
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
upfront
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
14-03-2016
Update:

They actually replied to my Email even though I screwed it up (I didn't know to put my birthdate and all in the subject line). They said that they are processing the application in the normal time, and that they DON'T need any additional documents from me at this time.

I really, really hope this is good news!