+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Immigration Advice Needed

andyg2886

Jul 23, 2021
Hi all

I am a UK citizen living and working in Canada. I have Canadian PR and will shortly be applying for Canadian Citizenship (the online calculator says I am eligible to apply on October 5th, 2021).

I have been offered a job in the US. My job offer is dependent on me securing immigration to the US before the end of the 2021 calendar year. The company uses immigration lawyers who recommended I apply for an O-1 visa to enter the US. Unfortunately, the estimated wait time for an O-1 is approximately 1 year. As such, the company is looking to rescind my job offer based on this long wait time. They have also explored other options such as the H1B (missed the cut-off) and E2 (I would have to apply through the UK but the consulate offices are currently closed because of COVID. Furthermore, I would have to have been present in the UK for a certain number of days over the last year to be eligible, but I've been in Canada).

It appears that another route for me would be with Canadian Citizenship (with a TN visa). The problem - I can't apply for Canadian citizenship until October 5th, and it appears the wait time for citizenship is currently 12 months.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could potentially make this work, or am I out of luck?

Thanks a lot.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all

I am a UK citizen living and working in Canada. I have Canadian PR and will shortly be applying for Canadian Citizenship (the online calculator says I am eligible to apply on October 5th, 2021).

I have been offered a job in the US. My job offer is dependent on me securing immigration to the US before the end of the 2021 calendar year. The company uses immigration lawyers who recommended I apply for an O-1 visa to enter the US. Unfortunately, the estimated wait time for an O-1 is approximately 1 year. As such, the company is looking to rescind my job offer based on this long wait time. They have also explored other options such as the H1B (missed the cut-off) and E2 (I would have to apply through the UK but the consulate offices are currently closed because of COVID. Furthermore, I would have to have been present in the UK for a certain number of days over the last year to be eligible, but I've been in Canada).

It appears that another route for me would be with Canadian Citizenship (with a TN visa). The problem - I can't apply for Canadian citizenship until October 5th, and it appears the wait time for citizenship is currently 12 months.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could potentially make this work, or am I out of luck?

Thanks a lot.
Out of luck unless they are willing for you to work from Canada or the UK or there is another visa option available as a UK citizen. Would add that 12 months seems fast for citizenship given the backlog.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Hi all

Thanks a lot.
Why will it take that long for O1......have they explored premium processing, Usually researchers and extraordinary ability qualify for O1, if you are in to research of national importance and significance, you can even expedite.