+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen needs help with future in Canada

W

wallaby4rent

I am a U.S. citizen, and I've been dating my Canadian boyfriend for a year. I want to move in with him in Canada, and I've scoured official and unofficial websites about moving to Canada, but I can't quite find out what I'm looking for.

My first question is, is it permissible to cross the border with the intent to stay in Canada looking for work - i.e., do the job search, looking for work that will sponsor me to get a temporary work visa (not trying to get illegal work)? I know that to stay legally long-term I would need to have a temp work visa or some sort of sponsorship, whether Common Law or by marriage.

Also, how long am I able to stay? Is it 6 months? And at the end of the 6 months, do I go back to the border and request an extension, if at that point I've made no headway with work?

I'd be incredibly grateful for any help on the matter. Thank you!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are allowed to stay as a visitor for up to 6 months. I have never heard that you are not allowed look for a job while you are a visitor. However, you can't be planning on staying permanently. The border guards always have to believe that you will leave at the end of your visa. After 6 months, you should send in for a visit visa extension if you want to stay longer.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a citizen of the US, you always need to file taxes in the US no matter where you live. In Canada you need to file taxes if you live there. What you would do if you live in Canada and work in the US is file taxes in both places. The US and Canada have a dual taxation agreement so you would not be paying more. Working in Canada, you pay taxes to Canada but to the US only if they US would have taxed you more than Canada already does. If you are working in the US, it's the other way around.