+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen applying for spouse PR - US/CAN border crossing ????

CanUs

Nov 9, 2009
Hi, I'm in need of some good info and am very grateful to anyone that can give me some insight to our unique situation.....

My husband and I just moved back up to the Washingon / BC area. I am a US citizen my current residence is in northern Washington. My husband, Canadian citizen, (to be my sponsor) and his family live in near the border in BC.
Currently, I have a part-time job in a US border town, I just got hired and don't plan on quitting any time soon. The commute is very reasonable and I need to make some $ to help us out, since I can not work in Canada. My husband works in BC.

my Purpose of PR in Canada is to
- live (legally) with my husband
-study Nursing at University, eventually work in that field
-possibly start a family, etc.

????'s
1. While applying for PR status (in Canada) can I continue to cross the border (probably about 2-3 times a week) using my US passport?
2. When crossing is it safe to say that I am working in US but am in the application process for my PR in BC?
3. Can I keep my job during the application process and after I get PR status- since I intend on living in BC, paying taxes, studying, etc.?

thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

CanUs said:
Hi, I'm in need of some good info and am very grateful to anyone that can give me some insight to our unique situation.....

My husband and I just moved back up to the Washingon / BC area. I am a US citizen my current residence is in northern Washington. My husband, Canadian citizen, (to be my sponsor) and his family live in near the border in BC.
Currently, I have a part-time job in a US border town, I just got hired and don't plan on quitting any time soon. The commute is very reasonable and I need to make some $ to help us out, since I can not work in Canada. My husband works in BC.

my Purpose of PR in Canada is to
- live (legally) with my husband
-study Nursing at University, eventually work in that field
-possibly start a family, etc.

????'s
1. While applying for PR status (in Canada) can I continue to cross the border (probably about 2-3 times a week) using my US passport?
2. When crossing is it safe to say that I am working in US but am in the application process for my PR in BC?
3. Can I keep my job during the application process and after I get PR status- since I intend on living in BC, paying taxes, studying, etc.?

thanks
1. You can, but note there is no guarantee that you will be re-admitted to Canada.
2/3 Yes and yes.

PMM

CanUs

Nov 9, 2009
THanks PMM- (you sure seem like a pro with this stuff- appreciate it)

In the above situation I described, would it be better to apply "outside" of Canada (in US)?

If so, would I still be allowed to stay up here in BC?

I'm trying to and want to be as honest as possible w/ the Gov. in all this- really I will be spending the majority of my time in Canada. So, the question is to file Inside- which I hear can take up to 2 years, or "Outside" -which I hear takes less time and if there were any problems I wouldn't "lose" my application? (taking into consideration border crossing)

thanks again

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

CanUs said:
THanks PMM- (you sure seem like a pro with this stuff- appreciate it)

In the above situation I described, would it be better to apply "outside" of Canada (in US)?

If so, would I still be allowed to stay up here in BC?

I'm trying to and want to be as honest as possible w/ the Gov. in all this- really I will be spending the majority of my time in Canada. So, the question is to file Inside- which I hear can take up to 2 years, or "Outside" -which I hear takes less time and if there were any problems I wouldn't "lose" my application? (taking into consideration border crossing)

thanks again
1. In spousal applications always do an "outside" application if you are from a visa exempt country. It preserves the right of appeal and is usually quicker.
2. If you are upfront when you cross the border and have proof that an sponsorship/application has been submitted the chances are quite good that you will be re-admitted.

PMM

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
its hard to see CBSA refusing you admission to Canada if you are honest and do everything by the book.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

links18 said:
its hard to see CBSA refusing you admission to Canada if you are honest and do everything by the book.
But you have to remember the OP and others "intention" is to remain permanently in Canada and not as temporary visitor. So if an I/O decides to enforce the Act to the letter, then s/he can refuse.

PMM

happyjen

Feb 21, 2013
I realize this post is rather dated, my question is.... CanUs, how did your process go? Were you able to cross the US Canadian border without issue frequently while your PR was being processed?