+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(US/Canada) Border Crossing (by air) after PR submission for 5.5 months

MrsHBKelly

Apr 24, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

I have been in a relationship with my husband for 3 years now (married for 1 year) and crossing the border once a month for short visits (he is in Calgary and I am in Boston). Obviously this set up is expensive and stressful. We recently were able to submit my PR application after being held up for 4 months by slow return on my FBI background check.

Anyway... this will be my first entry since submitting our application in March. I have a return ticket for 5.5 months later.

I plan on bringing:
Proof of return ticket
Letter from employer stating I have a job upon return
Same day bank statements to prove funds
Marriage certificate
Proof of insurance
(if I have any PR related confirmations or numbers by the point to prove outland application)

Is there anything else I should bring with me?

I am packing light.

I just want to make sure I give them no reason to worry and send me away

Any and all advice is much appreciated!!

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
In addition to all you mentioned, you can bring a copy of the receipt proving you paid for your PR application. If you don't get an UCI number or File number by the time you fly, you could at least show them a receipt so that they know you paid the fees (which means you probably applied).

I think you should be fine. I entered Canada after I applied (also from a visa exempt country) and I had no problem. At passport control (in Toronto) the officer asked no questions, but at customs (I had cash to declare) the officer did casually ask if I was going to do the "six months thing" (stay for 6 month, leave, turn around and come back in for another 6 months). I told him I already submitted my PR application, and am waiting for the results. He seemed perfectly fine with that, and didn't ask to see proof that I applied. But always good to carry with you some proof.

As long as they know you are a law-abiding citizen, (the fact that you already submitted your PR app means to them that you know the rules and are following them) they have no problems with you. Good luck!