+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent! Work Permit expiring -- BOWP and LMO

Emwttz

May 20, 2013
Hi Experts,

Background:
1. My WP is expiring in 1 month. My job is in NOC A catalogue.
2. I have gotten a new offer from my current employer and my employer is requesting a LMO for me, but it's said will take 12-14weeks from now.
3. I have already applied for CEC in Nov. 2012.
4. My wife has an OWP and my son has a visit record that are expiring in 1 month too.

Questions:
1. If I apply for the BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit), does it depend on the new LMO, that is, if I have to present the LMO request number/info for applying for a BOWP? If so,
2. if the BOWP will be approved AFTER the new LMO is out? Then,
3. how long can I stay if the new LMO request is rejected/failed.
4. If not, will BOWP be gotten in ~35 days (as posted) regardless of the request of LMO?
5. I see some comments that "a WP application can be submitted when a LMO is pending but your current WP is expiring in 2 weeks", I suspect if it's only for a "closed" work permit? If I am right, can I ignore the LMO request but apply for a BOWP and is it no problem to let me work with the same employer once I get the BOWP?

6. Additionally, must I apply for the BOWP at the date my current WP is expiring in two weeks? Or I can just apply for it right away (ignoring the LMO request at all).

Thanks very much!!

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
BOWP is independent of LMO. Do not mention LMO or any job-specific details in the BOWP application. It is an OPEN work permit.

Processing times vary, online applications are fairly quick though. Check the CIC estimates for latest processing times.

Since your LMO is several weeks away, your best bet is to apply for BOWP. Do you have your AOR? As a Nov applicant you must have gotten it by now. If you've received the AOR email/letter from CIC for your CEC application then you can apply for BOWP right now (or any time within the 4 months before your current WP expires).

Emwttz

May 20, 2013
Hi thisisauser,

Thanks a lot for your quick answers.
I also got some clues at the same time by searching the web.
Looks that I am quite eligible to do the BOWP without caring of the LMO.
What a relief!

About AOR, I have gotten an Email letter including "Application No. XXXXXXX" and " This correspondence also acknowledges receipt of your Fee Payment ... Your receipt number is xxxxxxxxx. " from CIO about 1.5 month after I submitted the CEC application. I guess this is the AOR as people referred. Please confirm me for this.

There are some "tricks" in the online application which can bypass the LMO. Otherwise, LMO is always a roadblock!
I will update it here once I get my case succeeded.

Thanks again!

canadacec2012

Apr 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Emwttz said:
Hi Experts,

Background:
1. My WP is expiring in 1 month. My job is in NOC A catalogue.
2. I have gotten a new offer from my current employer and my employer is requesting a LMO for me, but it's said will take 12-14weeks from now.
3. I have already applied for CEC in Nov. 2012.
4. My wife has an OWP and my son has a visit record that are expiring in 1 month too.

Questions:
1. If I apply for the BOWP (Bridging Open Work Permit), does it depend on the new LMO, that is, if I have to present the LMO request number/info for applying for a BOWP? If so, - LMO Number is not required for BOWP

2. if the BOWP will be approved AFTER the new LMO is out? Then,
3. how long can I stay if the new LMO request is rejected/failed.
4. If not, will BOWP be gotten in ~35 days (as posted) regardless of the request of LMO? - Mostly BOWP will be issued
5. I see some comments that "a WP application can be submitted when a LMO is pending but your current WP is expiring in 2 weeks", I suspect if it's only for a "closed" work permit? If I am right, can I ignore the LMO request but apply for a BOWP and is it no problem to let me work with the same employer once I get the BOWP?

6. Additionally, must I apply for the BOWP at the date my current WP is expiring in two weeks? Or I can just apply for it right away (ignoring the LMO request at all).-
you can BOWP if you are eligible.
Read the OB485 for BOWP eligibility - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob485.asp
Thanks very much!!

fenil72

Dec 14, 2010
What is the AOR mentioned here?

I had a PGWP, which expired on April 4, 2013. I am currently employed in an ongoing full time position. Since I have applied for permanent residency under the FSW category on June 1, 2010, I applied for a bridging work permit.

Now I am confused about LMO.

Do I need one now, even though I have gotten this employment when under the PGWP (which does not require an LMO)?

Thank you,
FS

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
I got the Infomraion for LMO from the forum (LMO is not required in BOWP)
What we need to fill in duration of expected employment field ?

Thanks