+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Referrals Process for Work Permit

A13x

Sep 3, 2020
Hi all,

I’m in a bit of a predicament, My IEC visa ran out on the 20th of May, I applied for PR on the 30th April and also applied for an open work permit on the 16th of May, so everything was done properly. Unfortunately however my dad passed away this week and due to being on implied status if I leave I won’t be able to return. I called up the IRCC call centre who initially told me I could apply for a new open work permit by mail and send to an urgent approval office. I called up a 2nd time to ask questions but I was told that I would be refused due to being on implied status and not meeting the criteria. I didn’t want to accept this so called a 3rd time and was then told there was no need to re-apply and that I could just upload evidence and explanation letter via the web form for my original application to be fast tracked.

Im now more confused than ever, has anyone been on implied status and had to leave the country and was successfully able to apply for an urgent referral for an open work permit? Could you please confirm the process for me?
Thanks in advance!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the problem is that your implied status will end the moment you leave Canada. Not to mention that IEC visa itself has no way for extension (unless you did not take the full length at the beginning). So you would be rejected that work permit anyway. However what will continue to be processed is your PR application. which means if you leave now get ready to stay outside until that PR is approved.

A13x

Sep 3, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I already have an application in for a bridging open work permit which was submitted before my IEC visa expired so hopefully that’ll come through while I wait for my PR to be approved! I guess I’ll just have to stay outside of Canada until I hear back. I’m going to upload a letter of explanation and evidence via the Web Form so see if that expedites the process.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your reply. I already have an application in for a bridging open work permit which was submitted before my IEC visa expired so hopefully that’ll come through while I wait for my PR to be approved! I guess I’ll just have to stay outside of Canada until I hear back. I’m going to upload a letter of explanation and evidence via the Web Form so see if that expedites the process.
here is your problem:

The following foreign nationals do not qualify for a BOWP:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/provincial-nominees-permanent-resident-applicants/bridging-open-work-permits.html
  • foreign nationals in Canada under section R186 who are exempt from the work permit requirement
  • foreign nationals who have let their status expire and must apply for restoration to return to temporary resident status
  • foreign nationals whose work permits are valid for longer than 4 months or who already have a new LMIA that can be used as the basis for a new work permit application
  • foreign nationals applying for a BOWP at a port of entry (POE) or visa office
  • spouses and dependants of principal permanent resident applicants
  • foreign nationals who are inadmissible to Canada

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada.

Oct 9, 2020
Did you receive your Bridging Open Work Permit? I am in a similar situation and have applied for Urgent Processing to my BOWP. I sent the request over 1 month ago and have called the client support centre every week since. They seem to have no authority to do anything and give the same statements each time "its processing".

How long did it take for the urgent referrals processing?

A13x

Sep 3, 2020
Yes I did receive it. Timeframe wise, I put it in via web form, 5 days later I received a response asking for further information (confirmation/proof of travel plans) I uploaded these the same day, including all the previous info I was asked to provide (as requested in response to webform). 5 days later I recieved confirmation that the documents had been accepted and passed on to the immigration officer. 10 days later I recieved notification my open work permit had been approved. It was then mailed out to me within a week to 10 days.

Reactions: Jamessmith1995
Oct 9, 2020
Yes I did receive it. Timeframe wise, I put it in via web form, 5 days later I received a response asking for further information (confirmation/proof of travel plans) I uploaded these the same day, including all the previous info I was asked to provide (as requested in response to webform). 5 days later I recieved confirmation that the documents had been accepted and passed on to the immigration officer. 10 days later I recieved notification my open work permit had been approved. It was then mailed out to me within a week to 10 days.
Thanks for the information.
I called again today they informed me that my BOWP urgent application is processing but its being held as my Permanent Residency application has not yet gone to the required stage to process a BOWP.

Defeats the purpose of urgent processing but hopefully things will be resolved soon.

Rishita

Star Member
May 12, 2018
when did you apply? did you receive it?

Rishita

Star Member
May 12, 2018
Thanks for the information.
I called again today they informed me that my BOWP urgent application is processing but its being held as my Permanent Residency application has not yet gone to the required stage to process a BOWP.

Defeats the purpose of urgent processing but hopefully things will be resolved soon.
what happened later?