+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Processing Times

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
I am contemplating applying for citizenship with urgent processing (on the grounds that I live in Ottawa and I can't get a job with the government without citizenship due to Public Service Employment Act). If approved how much faster is it compared to a regular application?

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
Thanks for responding! Really happy to hear that they do accept my reason for urgent processing.

Could you be more specific about the timeline? Based on various posters here it seems a regular application takes somewhere between 75 to 90 days.

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
Thank you. This is quite impressive since back in the early 2015 the average processing time was much longer than it is today.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You probably won't get urgent processing just because you live in a local labour market dominated by the federal public service. Do you have a specific job offer that would offer you employment, but for not being a Canadian citizen? The federal government does hire non citizens for many jobs, even if preference is given to citizens, so you would likely need to have a job offer on the table that requires citizenship

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
links18 said:
You probably won't get urgent processing just because you live in a local labour market dominated by the federal public service. Do you have a specific job offer that would offer you employment, but for not being a Canadian citizen? The federal government does hire non citizens for many jobs, even if preference is given to citizens, so you would likely need to have a job offer on the table that requires citizenship
The point is with the Public Service Employment Act in place I won't get any job offers. And it isn't the local labor market I studied and got a masters in public policy but can't get a job because of the law.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
ottawa-pr said:
The point is with the Public Service Employment Act in place I won't get any job offers. And it isn't the local labor market I studied and got a masters in public policy but can't get a job because of the law.
Good luck with that. If the criteria is that there is a hypothetical job out there you might get, but can't because you aren't a citizen, everyone would qualify for urgent processing--which would make urgent processing meaningless. You probably need a concrete job offer on the table, with an employer saying in effect, "I would hire you, but I legally can't because you aren't a Canadian citizen."

Besides, normal processing times are actually quite reasonable these days--well, at least for those of us who sat through years of delays.

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
links18 said:
Good luck with that. If the criteria is that there is a hypothetical job out there you might get, but can't because you aren't a citizen, everyone would qualify for urgent processing--which would make urgent processing meaningless. You probably need a concrete job offer on the table, with an employer saying in effect, "I would hire you, but I legally can't because you aren't a Canadian citizen."
Well there is a law that effectively says that.

Besides, normal processing times are actually quite reasonable these days--well, at least for those of us who sat through years of delays.
Is my 75-90 days estimate accurate in your opinion?

PS: Here is the law in question:

Preference to veterans and Canadian citizens

39 (1) In an advertised external appointment process, subject to any priorities established under paragraph 22(2)(a) and by sections 39.1, 40 and 41, any of the following who, in the Commission’s opinion, meet the essential qualifications referred to in paragraph 30(2)(a) shall be appointed ahead of other candidates, in the following order:

(a) a person who is in receipt of a pension by reason of war service, within the meaning of the schedule;

(b) a veteran or a survivor of a veteran, within the meaning of the schedule; and

(c) a Canadian citizen, within the meaning of the Citizenship Act, in any case where a person who is not a Canadian citizen is also a candidate.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
ottawa-pr said:
Well there is a law that effectively says that.

Is my 75-90 days estimate accurate in your opinion?

PS: Here is the law in question:
The law only establishes a preferences for Canadian citizens--it doesn't preclude a non-citizen from getting a job. There may be some jobs where citizenship is required, but like I said--without a concrete job offer, you probably aren't getting urgent processing. There are certainly reports of people going from application to oath in 90 days under normal processing, which seems like urgent processing to those of us who waited three years under the Harper Cons.

ottawa-pr

Sep 20, 2016
links18 said:
The law only establishes a preferences for Canadian citizens--it doesn't preclude a non-citizen from getting a job. There may be some jobs where citizenship is required, but like I said--without a concrete job offer, you probably aren't getting urgent processing.
Well they say You can't apply for a job or could lose your job because you are not a Canadian citizen and while there is an "effective" citizenship requirement for all federal public service jobs (I was told I won't get hired until I become a citizen) there are others (those connected to intelligence and defence) that actually do require citizenship.

There are certainly reports of people going from application to oath in 90 days under normal processing, which seems like urgent processing to those of us who waited three years under the Harper Cons.
Thanks for your input but you come off like this: "It was 3 year back in our time, now it is 3 months, how dare you ask for it to be even less." I am not sure how it is relevant. Generally I am happy when I hear people don't have go through the hardships I had to put up with (in any domain of life not just on this issue). For example just because I had to walk two miles to get clean water doesn't mean I yell at a kid who wants a bottled water rather than walk one block to home.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
ottawa-pr said:
Well they say You can't apply for a job or could lose your job because you are not a Canadian citizen and while there is an "effective" citizenship requirement for all federal public service jobs (I was told I won't get hired until I become a citizen) there are others (those connected to intelligence and defence) that actually do require citizenship.

Thanks for your input but you come off like this: "It was 3 year back in our time, now it is 3 months, how dare you ask for it to be even less." I am not sure how it is relevant. Generally I am happy when I hear people don't have go through the hardships I had to put up with (in any domain of life not just on this issue). For example just because I had to walk two miles to get clean water doesn't mean I yell at a kid who wants a bottled water rather than walk one block to home.
You can try to get urgent processing if you want, but I doubt you will succeed without an actual concrete job offer. And yes, it is a little annoying that those I know and care about had to sit through three years processing time on a routine application and no sooner are they through the ordeal that we start getting reports of three month processing times. One has to wonder if they are actually doing their due diligence on these applications? I guess I am a little bitter. Sorry about that. Chock it up to PTSD.