+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT NEED HELP - flight on Dec 21

howie2610

Dec 17, 2016
hi, really need some advice here, we already booked the flight to Vancouver on Dec 21

My father hold a Hong Kong SAR passort and was rejected to apply ETA as he has PR status. My father was a PR but did not stay for 3 years to become Citizen, and has came back to Hong Kong for 20 year now.

My mum is a Canadian Citizen and myself too, so my father requested for PRTD around 2 months ago and just submitted the pending document (i.e. past 5 years travel record, my mother passport copy) last week.

I am worried that if we dont hear back from CIC next week, he may not be able to enter Canada, we have contacted CIC via email but their response is meaningless, and no way we can know the status now.

I checked the status in VAC but it still shows pending document, and I can't check the status on CIC website.

What will happen if my father still board the flight, will he be refused entry? Both myself and my mum are traveling together and holding Canadian passport and will land Vancouver by flight.

If my father renounce his PR status now, does it get effective immediately so I can apply ETA for him?

Nicer77

Dec 11, 2016
I have confirmation that they are experiencing delays for ETA and they have no timeframe of processing times for anyone who has submitted extra documents. I have been forced to buy another flight I have lost over one thousand pounds. I was due to fly on 22 no Dec

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
howie2610 said:
hi, really need some advice here, we already booked the flight to Vancouver on Dec 21

My father hold a Hong Kong SAR passort and was rejected to apply ETA as he has PR status. My father was a PR but did not stay for 3 years to become Citizen, and has came back to Hong Kong for 20 year now.

My mum is a Canadian Citizen and myself too, so my father requested for PRTD around 2 months ago and just submitted the pending document (i.e. past 5 years travel record, my mother passport copy) last week.

I am worried that if we dont hear back from CIC next week, he may not be able to enter Canada, we have contacted CIC via email but their response is meaningless, and no way we can know the status now.

I checked the status in VAC but it still shows pending document, and I can't check the status on CIC website.

What will happen if my father still board the flight, will he be refused entry? Both myself and my mum are traveling together and holding Canadian passport and will land Vancouver by flight.

If my father renounce his PR status now, does it get effective immediately so I can apply ETA for him?
sorry to say but without an ETA or an approved PRTD it is unlikely he will be able to board the flight assuming the airline follow the correct procedure. If the airline does not follow procedure and allows him to board then as a PR still he should be allowed into Canada but will of course be reported for failing to meet residency. Also unlikely that renouncing PR now that would process before DEC 21 . The expensive alternative might have been fly into the US assuming have a US visa and cross land border into Canada but time is against now.

howie2610

Dec 17, 2016
Bs65 said:
sorry to say but without an ETA or an approved PRTD it is unlikely he will be able to board the flight assuming the airline follow the correct procedure. If the airline does not follow procedure and allows him to board then as a PR still he should be allowed into Canada but will of course be reported for failing to meet residency. Also unlikely that renouncing PR now that would process before DEC 21 . The expensive alternative might have been fly into the US assuming have a US visa and cross land border into Canada but time is against now.
Thanks, but he don't have a US visa and his Hong Kong passport is still kept at the Canadian consulate, not sure if he can walk in to get this back, then we can give it a try to see if he can board the flight, he has a PR landing visa issued 20 yrs ago in his old passport. Do you know is PRTD process in local consulate or in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
howie2610 said:
Thanks, but he don't have a US visa and his Hong Kong passport is still kept at the Canadian consulate, not sure if he can walk in to get this back, then we can give it a try to see if he can board the flight, he has a PR landing visa issued 20 yrs ago in his old passport. Do you know is PRTD process in local consulate or in Canada?
He'll need one of the following to board the flight:

- Valid PR card
- Valid PRTD
- Valid ETA

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
howie2610 said:
Was he living with his Canadian citizen wife at least the past 2 years? If so, then he would still be in compliance with residency obligation so his PRTD would eventually be approved (however long that takes).

If he was not living with her, then he would be in violation of the RO and most likely his PRTD would be rejected and it would start process to revoke his PR status.

If he doesn't get a PRTD, then most likely he will be denied boarding by the airline. He would not even be able to check in. You should have a backup plan or prepare to delay his flight until he can get PRTD or can formally renounce his PR status and get eTA instead.

howie2610

Dec 17, 2016
Rob_TO said:
Was he living with his Canadian citizen wife at least the past 2 years? If so, then he would still be in compliance with residency obligation so his PRTD would eventually be approved (however long that takes).

If he was not living with her, then he would be in violation of the RO and most likely his PRTD would be rejected and it would start process to revoke his PR status.

If he doesn't get a PRTD, then most likely he will be denied boarding by the airline. He would not even be able to check in. You should have a backup plan or prepare to delay his flight until he can get PRTD or can formally renounce his PR status and get eTA instead.
Yes, he is living with his wife all these years and should be valid for PRTD, is a matter of time when will he receive this. The submission was in early Oct and they informed us need to provide supporting document in Nov, where it took him 3 weeks to get this done from Hong Kong Government for the Travel record. The document was submitted last week, not sure will it helps if we walk in to the Consulate to check. Is the PRTD process locally or in Canada?