+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT - Immigration/Visitor document

hayley0587

Oct 28, 2018
Hi everyone!

I currently have a Visitor record document. I received this last year (November 5, 2017) and was given a year to stay in the country while my husband and I completed our immigration paperwork. We had some medical expenses come up and had to play catch up to resave the money for our application fee. We have one last document to complete (background check/fingerprints) but this will take 3-5 days to get back.

My visitor document expires in 5 days and we aren't sure what our options are that would allow me to stay in the country. We were told that I might need to apply for a visitor visa (but I don't believe that's the document I was given initially at the U.S./Canadian border??). Is it possible to have this extended at the border if it is not a Visa? Or do you think it would be a waste of time to travel to the border?

If it is a Visa that we need to apply for... I am not sure how to answer a couple of the questions on the application.
  1. How long are you planning to stay in Canada (since I'm planning to move here... do I say permanently or temporarily since I am not a PR as of yet?)
  2. What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada. (I am presently in Canada, BUT I am not a resident here...so should I select USA even if I am currently in Canada?)
Any help is greatly appreciated!!