+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT!!! Do I need a valid passport to renew my RP

Lubna.Ahmed

Feb 8, 2011
Hi,
I urgently need an information. Do I need to provide passport copy as a document to renew the PR. My PR and passport both expired. (I've met the required number of days).

I need to know whether I need a valid passport to apply for the renewal of PR or my expired passport will work. I live in Toronto and our embassy is in Ottawa and for the renewal I've to be physically there as it needs to scan the finger and eye. I've no travel plan in 2013 and would like to renew my passport later, but if I have to have a valid passport to renew my PR, then I'll make necessary arrangement to travel to Ottawa.

I've tried to call CIC help line so many times, but could not get anyone to answer my query. Please reply me ASAP. I will really appreciate that. Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think you need a valid passport to send an application to renew your PR card.

Lubna.Ahmed

Feb 8, 2011
Thanks for your quick reply. Are you sure I don't need a valid passport? What are the supporting document I need to provide?

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
I think they would only ask for Valid PP only if you apply for urgent renewal, becoz you need to provide them the travelling document as proof of Urgency.