+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent advice needed Folks!!Sponsoring Spouse-5 year sponsorship ban

anarah

Nov 14, 2018
Guys please help.
I got married in march 2014 -my x husband was in Canada (Missasaua)and I was back home in Pakistan .My Pr procedure started in 2014 by my x husband as he was sponsoring me- I received my PR (issued in 7 jan 2016) when I first entered Canada its valid till 12 feb 2021.Unfortunately I got divorced in 5th April 2017 .
Now when I want to remarry and sponsor a spouse the problem arises due to 5 year sponsorship bar rule.
Which states:Under this regulatory amendment, the authorities can place a bar on a person from sponsoring a spouse or a partner for a five-year period. However, this bar will apply only to those individuals sponsored by another person as a spouse or a partner.
My question is does this 5 year period starts from the day I received my pr when it was issued when I first landed in Canada in 2016? or the 5 year period starts from the day my x spouse sent my application for sponsoring me which was in 2014?.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

According to this it starts from the day application was filed...
That means 5 years from the date of the new application, i.e. when you try to sponsor your new spouse.

There is no way around it. You are banned from sponsoring a spouse for 5 years from the day you landed.

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
No, it says you (the sponsor) can not apply to sponsor a spouse, common law or conjugal partner unless you have been a PR or citizen for 5 years before the date YOU apply for your new spouse. Read the whole thing, not just the bits that works for you. Have you been a PR or citizen for 5 years immediately preceding (before) the application is submitted.