+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Upfront medical exam before getting ITA!

Richie....

Apr 15, 2015
Hello Guys!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Had a confusion about upfront medical. We can do an upfront medical for EE CEC category before getting ITA, right?
I am expecting ITA next month and I am already working in Canada, so it would make sense to just get it done with 15 days before ITA, right.
Please advise!!

Cheers!
Richie

SAJ_ee2015

Jul 4, 2015
Richie.... said:
Hello Guys!

Had a confusion about upfront medical. We can do an upfront medical for EE CEC category before getting ITA, right?
I am expecting ITA next month and I am already working in Canada, so it would make sense to just get it done with 15 days before ITA, right.
Please advise!!

Cheers!
Richie
you can do upfront medicals before getting ITA.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Richie.... said:
Hello Guys!

Please advise!!

Cheers!
Richie
You can. The issue is that the medical has to be valid when you "land", so if you don't get an ITA as soon as you expect, or if your case takes longer than expected to process, or if your first application gets rejected and you have to wait for another ITA, you could end up having a second medical. But there are worse things in life, of course!

Richie....

Apr 15, 2015
dobes said:
You can. The issue is that the medical has to be valid when you "land", so if you don't get an ITA as soon as you expect, or if your case takes longer than expected to process, or if your first application gets rejected and you have to wait for another ITA, you could end up having a second medical. But there are worse things in life, of course!
Thanks for the prompt reply Saj and Dobes. I didn't understand you there Dobes. What do you mean by landing? I am already in Canada, working. I am not applying under fsw from a foreign country. Is there something I am not clear about.

Thank you,
Richie

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Richie.... said:
Thanks for the prompt reply Saj and Dobes. I didn't understand you there Dobes. What do you mean by landing? I am already in Canada, working. I am not applying under fsw from a foreign country. Is there something I am not clear about.

Thank you,
Richie
Well, that's why I put "land" in quotes. But when you complete your process, the last step is after the receipt of your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR), which you get back from Ottawa after you send in your passport and pictures (or copy of passport and pics if you are from a visa waiver country). Your PR is not activated until you actually leave Canada and re-enter, so you can be inspected at the border, just as you would be if you were coming from another country for real. There, they will ask you a few final questions, then fill out your CoPR, keep a copy, which will be used to make your PR card, and give you back one to serve as confirmation of your new status for purposes of getting a new SIN, medical insurance, etc. There will be a date on your CoPR, by which time you will have to present yourself at the border (or at a CIC office, if you don't mind waiting weeks for an appointment) or lose your status. And that date will be just about exactly one year from the date of your medical.

We are going to Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls tomorrow to "land" - walk from the Canadian side to the American side and back - and then celebrate with a ride on the Maid of the Mist. :D

Mario_AB

Star Member
Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so If the medical is done before receiving ITA, how does the E-medical Works then, does the doctor send the medical reports electronically to CIC right away and when the applicant gets an ITA, CIC have his/her medical in their data base?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mario_AB said:
so If the medical is done before receiving ITA, how does the E-medical Works then, does the doctor send the medical reports electronically to CIC right away and when the applicant gets an ITA, CIC have his/her medical in their data base?
Yes.

Which is another reason why you should try and schedule your medicals as close as possible to post ITA submission. Earlier in the year, there was a nasty tendency of medicals falling through the cracks and taking forever to move to 'passed' for applicants who had considerable time lag between the getting their medicals done and submitting their application.

Richie....

Apr 15, 2015
Thank you Dobes for the explanation. Congrats on your CoPR. Enjoy the Niagara, its even better at night. Awesome place...

Thanks Asivad. I didn't understand your part there, considerable time difference. Could you be specific. Let us say, in my case, if I have 1 month of difference in medical done and application submitted. Is that a lot or that is fine?

Cheers!
Richie

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Richie.... said:
Thank you Dobes for the explanation. Congrats on your CoPR. Enjoy the Niagara, its even better at night. Awesome place...

Thanks Asivad. I didn't understand your part there, considerable time difference. Could you be specific. Let us say, in my case, if I have 1 month of difference in medical done and application submitted. Is that a lot or that is fine?

Cheers!
Richie
It was reported earlier in the year by some members. Recommend that you keep a maximum time lag of couple of weeks between the medicals and submission.