+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unsure when to apply for PR

Oct 11, 2022
Hi all, I've posted briefly here before but this time I want to make it short and sweet.

I have a pending name change in the United States, but I also want to apply for PR when I am able, I'm currently waiting on one document from the States before I can change my name on anything else.

I have proof of my name change, i.e, the court document showing proof of name change, along with birth certificates showing my old and new name. Can I apply for Permanent Residency and provide proof of name change?

I have looked at all the applications, filled them out to the best that I can at the moment, but no where does it mention anything about a case of name change and whether one should wait or provide proof. So that's why I'm here. Thanks for reading!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all, I've posted briefly here before but this time I want to make it short and sweet.

I have a pending name change in the United States, but I also want to apply for PR when I am able, I'm currently waiting on one document from the States before I can change my name on anything else.

I have proof of my name change, i.e, the court document showing proof of name change, along with birth certificates showing my old and new name. Can I apply for Permanent Residency and provide proof of name change?

I have looked at all the applications, filled them out to the best that I can at the moment, but no where does it mention anything about a case of name change and whether one should wait or provide proof. So that's why I'm here. Thanks for reading!
If you have the proof of name change document, in what sense is it 'pending'? If you have the doc, it's done. I should think anyway.

And yes, you can apply. Yes, show proof of name change.

Oct 11, 2022
If you have the proof of name change document, in what sense is it 'pending'? If you have the doc, it's done. I should think anyway.

And yes, you can apply. Yes, show proof of name change.
It's pending in the sense that only my birth cert has changed, but nothing else is yet changed. Like social security, which is preventing me from changing it on any other doc. I'd like to update my info to get it on my ID's 'n stuff. But! Thanks for the answer!! This is super helpful actually.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It's pending in the sense that only my birth cert has changed, but nothing else is yet changed. Like social security, which is preventing me from changing it on any other doc. I'd like to update my info to get it on my ID's 'n stuff. But! Thanks for the answer!! This is super helpful actually.
I don't think the fact that you've not updated other docs is relevant, BUT: you will need passport before your file can be finalized - but you can do that during the course of the application and send them an update. They may want to know that you have passport with new name. So there is a small (underline, small) possibility that it might be preferable to at least change your passport first, but I doubt it matters. (In all honesty will liekly be 2-3 months before they even look at your file in detail).

If it were me: if I knew I could get my passport updated in < four weeks, I'd get the new passport and include. (I'm assuming you haven't completely finalized your application anyway). If it was going to take a LOT longer, I'd apply for passport right away and include doc with application that new passport has been applied for.

Oct 11, 2022
I don't think the fact that you've not updated other docs is relevant, BUT: you will need passport before your file can be finalized - but you can do that during the course of the application and send them an update. They may want to know that you have passport with new name. So there is a small (underline, small) possibility that it might be preferable to at least change your passport first, but I doubt it matters. (In all honesty will liekly be 2-3 months before they even look at your file in detail).

If it were me: if I knew I could get my passport updated in < four weeks, I'd get the new passport and include. (I'm assuming you haven't completely finalized your application anyway). If it was going to take a LOT longer, I'd apply for passport right away and include doc with application that new passport has been applied for.
My main issue is right now, without my Social Security, I'm barred from changing anything else. And I've been waiting on this SS since May, and still I have no word of it ever arriving. Been trying to find ways to reach Social Security for an answer or if I just need to apply and pay for another one outright given it's taking so long State-side. So that's why I've been waiting, because there's not a lot I can do aside from just... wait. Though I plan on ordering another SS card and sending it to someone in the states to see if that does anything.