20-04-2015
Interview........
DM: 21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 17-12-2015
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
Hey guys,

I'm gathering around all of my documents for travelling and I have everything that I need, but then I saw that they want everything from the five years immediately preceding the application. Whoops.

I'm applying on March 15th (roughly), so will need from March 15th 2013 until present.

I have almost everything, but I am missing travel documents from approximately April 2013 through mid-June 2013, and cannot find them ANYWHERE. I know that I took a specific mode of transportation between those dates, but I cannot find record of them in my email, and my (now ex) husband does not have record of them either.

Does anyone know what will happen here, if I include a note saying that I could not locate the travel documents and I am unsure of what dates I was gone here? :/ I really hate not having everything, especially the exact dates that I was away then. That's not my style at all! :(

Because I've been going US-Canada those dates, I don't have stamps in my passport for them, either.

Thoughts, here? I tried searching for like-situations but wasn't able to locate anything specific - perhaps am just not adept at searching the right terms, so I apologize in advance if this has been asked a million times!

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm gathering around all of my documents for travelling and I have everything that I need, but then I saw that they want everything from the five years immediately preceding the application. Whoops.

I'm applying on March 15th (roughly), so will need from March 15th 2013 until present.

I have almost everything, but I am missing travel documents from approximately April 2013 through mid-June 2013, and cannot find them ANYWHERE. I know that I took a specific mode of transportation between those dates, but I cannot find record of them in my email, and my (now ex) husband does not have record of them either.

Does anyone know what will happen here, if I include a note saying that I could not locate the travel documents and I am unsure of what dates I was gone here? :/ I really hate not having everything, especially the exact dates that I was away then. That's not my style at all! :(

Because I've been going US-Canada those dates, I don't have stamps in my passport for them, either.

Thoughts, here? I tried searching for like-situations but wasn't able to locate anything specific - perhaps am just not adept at searching the right terms, so I apologize in advance if this has been asked a million times!
If the people reviewing your file believe that the absence of information/your uncertainty makes the rest of your application unreliable, then you may have to prove your presence by going through a (extensive and invasive) validation process.

If they're happy with your statements they'll just process the file, and you'd just get routine processing.

We don't know what determines the difference between those two scenarios. We can make guesses, based on people's experiences, but we can't say with any certainty which scenario will come to pass.

Now, you can ask for information from CBSA and CBP (under FOIA/ATIP laws), and see if those records match up and are complete, and then file your application, having filled in the gaps in that way. Requesting those records may take some time, though.

You can also just wait until June 2018 to apply, so the period about which you are uncertain is outside of your eligibility period.

If I was in your situation I'd lean towards waiting until June. That doesn't guarantee routine processing, but it certainly removes one possible trigger for non-routine processing, and doesn't feel like too much of a wait. But that's a trade-off you have to make yourself, obviously.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Hey guys,

Why dont you wait till Jun 2013 and ensure a smooth application? You application will anyways be delayed if there are doubts. Applying later might get you citizenship faster.

Reactions: jithucan123

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply for your cbsa travel records - then you’ll know exactly.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hey guys,

If you're not a US citizen you can retrieve your i94 travel records instantly here:

i94.cbp.dhs.gov

Fair warning, that these are not always entirely accurate.

Alternatively, you could apply for your CBSA records (only contain entry records to Canada, no exits and take 30-40 days to receive them) and/or US border entry/exit records under FOIA (processing times can be 3 months or longer).

CBSA travel history report
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agence/reports-rapports/pia-efvp/atip-aiprp/thr-rav-eng.html

How to order USA entry/exit records (FOIA) ? (for everyone)
(Credit user steve)
1- go to this link: https://foiaonline.regulations.gov/foia/action/public/request/publicPreCreate
2- create an account or continue as a guest ( I recommend the creation of an account)
3- select the agency: CBP FOIA division
4- fill in all your personal information.
5- type of record requested it will be: Entry/ exit
6- in the description put the details of your request.
7- click preview and submit.

ditto

Feb 18, 2018
Hey guys,

You just need to report travels after becoming a Canadian resident or any other status in Canada and not neccessarily 5 year before the application date.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
You just need to report travels after becoming a Canadian resident or any other status in Canada and not neccessarily 5 year before the application date.
As @fruitball4u mentioned: they were travelling between US-Canada at that time, which means those days count, either as absences or as visits, depending on the direction of travel and their status. If they had not been granted PR/PP status then it is permissible to omit the dates (though IRCC recommends against doing so). If they had been granted PR/PP status then they must include the trips in their calculations.

(As these dates are more than 4 years ago they are not necessary to determine if a police certificate is needed, but that is another reason to make sure you have an accurate count of all days spent in another country, so you don't find out after submitting your paperwork that such a certificate is required as part of your application.)