+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unpaid vacation?

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have 3 weeks regular vacation time but considering taking another 4 weeks of unpaid vacation.

Can I count these 4 weeks towards 2 years of experience to apply under CEC? 'cause these 2 years are yet to come for me.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609E2.asp#experience they say that you have to have been working 37.5 hours a week for 2 years which is what they classify as full time but when you apply, they don't actually count hours, you will just have been working for this same employer full time the whole time.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5609E2.asp#experience they say that you have to have been working 37.5 hours a week for 2 years which is what they classify as full time but when you apply, they don't actually count hours, you will just have been working for this same employer full time the whole time.
Thanks, Leon. The thing is they ask for T4 slips and and tax notice from revenue agency as mandatory documents for application - that's what makes me to doubt. Let's say, last couple months or more of this 2-year required period i'm on unpaid vacation in the company 'cause I need it for personal matters and I asked my buddy ceo for it, but not even stayed in the country, then supposed to be back, and i'm applying under CEC just after 2 years have passed since employment started. What will happen?

Oct 21, 2008
You answered your question yourself - neither a T4 nor tax receipt lists your vacation hours or your work hours for that matter. You are worrying too much over small details. The Immigration officer has no time to go find out when you took your vacation and for how long.

All they are looking for is that you were on full-time payroll for 2 years

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aquamarinebeach said:
You answered your question yourself - neither a T4 nor tax receipt lists your vacation hours or your work hours for that matter. You are worrying too much over small details. The Immigration officer has no time to go find out when you took your vacation and for how long.

All they are looking for is that you were on full-time payroll for 2 years
Well, i'm worrying 'cause we're in the state of global financial crisis and the job can be lost anytime they decide to cut company costs (actually everybody awaits for layoffs to start after the last board of directors). What if I was working for less than 2 years and was then sent to unpaid vacation for several weeks/months instead of being fired? What are formalities here?

CIC wants T4 slips, obviously, there would be 0's in there for this period, if there will be any slips at all. Will this account to building up working experience or not?

Oct 21, 2008
Ok you are now going to a different context altogether with the possibility of a lay off. No one is ever 100% guaranteed to keep his job when he walks in the next day (economic crisis or no economic crisis - does not make a difference). Being positive in life and at work is the best thing you can do to keep your job. And that applies to all of us.

You did not read my previous post carefully and you are freaking out for nothing. May be you never saw a T4 or a notice of assessment and are confusing them with your paycheque. So, I'll break it down for you in further details - In January 2009 your company will send you a T4 that only shows how much you made in 2008 - no mention of months or hours worked whatsoever. After you have filed your taxes, CRA will send you a notice of assessment based on your T4 - showing how much you made, how much taxes you paid or credits you got. Once again - there is no mention of your hours or months you were employed.

In the light of the above, if you are still worried about the effect your unpaid vacation may have tne you have 2 options I guess:
1) do not take the unpaid vacation
or
2) take the upaid vacation and then only apply when you have worked actually worked for 1 or 2 years - whichever applies