gururaj026

Jan 29, 2015
Hi,

My profile:
12th - 91%
B.E Mechanical - 8.1 CGPA
TOEFL - 103
3 1/2 years worked in L&T

I have decided to study abroad a year back, then I decided on Canada. At first I decided to pursue Masters in a university but the cost was high. Then I looked for Colleges which offers graduate diploma & graduate certificate, but some of my friends and colleagues told me that doing a course in college is not much of a value. Also universities can also be cheaper (Regina, Concordia, Saskatchewan, Simon Fraser etc,) One of my friends who is already in Canada asking me to do course in college stating that its not considered whether you studied in university or college when it is seen for a job prospect. I'm in a dilemma right now, whether to choose university or college. I want to study and settle in Canada. Someone pl help me regarding this. It'll mean a lot to me.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. I was born in Canada and work in the banking industry and I can tell you that it most certainly makes a huge difference whether you completed your studies at the college or university level. In my department I need university graduates (preferably those with MBAs). Diplomas / post graduate diplomas are meaningless to me.

If you're in Engineering, a Masters in Engineering is far superior to any related college degree you can obtain. Your job prospects will be much stronger with a Masters.

I'm guessing your friend completed a college course in Canada and either doesn't know any better or is trying to make himself feel better about the education choices he has made.

luvanuj

Jul 14, 2011
Toronto
There is a huge difference between a university degree and post graduate diploma. A lot of my friends are struggling with jobs who have done PGD course. Try to get into Mechanical, a lot of universities provide funding/ assistantship etc to International Students.

gururaj026

Jan 29, 2015
scylla said:
Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. I was born in Canada and work in the banking industry and I can tell you that it most certainly makes a huge difference whether you completed your studies at the college or university level. In my department I need university graduates (preferably those with MBAs). Diplomas / post graduate diplomas are meaningless to me.

If you're in Engineering, a Masters in Engineering is far superior to any related college degree you can obtain. Your job prospects will be much stronger with a Masters.

I'm guessing your friend completed a college course in Canada and either doesn't know any better or is trying to make himself feel better about the education choices he has made.
Thank you very much for the information.

gururaj026

Jan 29, 2015
luvanuj said:
There is a huge difference between a university degree and post graduate diploma. A lot of my friends are struggling with jobs who have done PGD course. Try to get into Mechanical, a lot of universities provide funding/ assistantship etc to International Students.
Thank you.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
gururaj026 said:
One of my friends who is already in Canada asking me to do course in college stating that its not considered whether you studied in university or college when it is seen for a job prospect. I'm in a dilemma right now, whether to choose university or college. I want to study and settle in Canada. Someone pl help me regarding this. It'll mean a lot to me.
I cannot agree 100% with others here on the above point. Yes, most of the time, it's true that a University degree is superior to a college one. But it may not be the fact in all job fields.

For example, I work in field at power sector (publicly owned). There is a 3:1 ratio of technician/technologist and engineers in field. The salary range is same with better benefits for technician/technologist as they have stronger union. BTW, I have a bachelors and a masters from Canadian university in engineering.

I'm not saying this is the picture you will see everywhere. In most cases, you will see the opposite. Hence my statement.

Coming to your profile:
It seems you will best fit in a university. You said you want to study and settle in Canada. That's another reason to go to a university. If you had said you just want to settle in Canada, I would have advised you otherwise. :)