+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unemployment Allowance

Skan

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Hi,

Is there any unemployment allowance or any thing like that in any province of Canada for the time a person do not have a job?

Skan

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Thanx for the info, and if there is any such benefit for the new immigrants who do not get a job for lets say 6 months or more.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is why new immigrants have to prove their funds before they can immigrate. You must have worked a certain number of hours before you can get EI. If you do not qualify for EI, you can get welfare but it is a pittance, $500 a month last I heard and there is no way you can live on that. My advise is if you can't find the job you want within a couple of months and you see your savings running out, take any job you can get to make ends meet. You can still look for a better job on your time off.

Also do not settle anywhere before you have checked out the employment situation.

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I got an IT job in calgary in the lower 80k range and i am not sure if we can manage that condidering the cost of living in calgary. I have 2 people who are dependent on me. PLease advise

Thanks

zielee179

Feb 5, 2011
links18 said:
80K is a lot of money. :eek:
i think it should be said as 80tawsan in pesos? not in $. if your under working visa, i think your employer, is responsible in your housing..u take care only of your foods and others, so if thats the case, its a lot a money still

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No it is around 80-85000$ and my employer does not pay anything for living expenses...

canadayogini

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
20-12-2010
File Transfer...
09-12-2010
Med's Done....
06-10-2010
Passport Req..
01-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2011
Hi Emceemouli,

$80-$85k in Calgary will be fine, depending on what you expect as your standard of living and the rent/mortgage that you pay.

I know you can live quite comfortably on that... my husband and I have lived on a lot less than that in Calgary and we'll be moving back there, with 2 children (1 of those a newborn) and all of us will live on my husband's salary of less than $40k... so I think you're going to be ok!

Car parking is very expensive there... if you are working downtown may want to consider car share or alternate car parking options.

Binggay

Star Member
Mar 8, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thezieglers said:
It's called Eomplyment Insurance but requires you had worked before
do skilled workers have this kind of benefit? My application for extension of work permit was rejected and i applied for restoration and was approved last may 11, 2011. now only waiting for PPR as provincial nominee. can I make claims for the period I cannot work because I don't have work permit?

Please advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Temporary foreign workers getting EI is a hit and miss. Some people have been refused based on not being ready, willing and able to take any job that comes along because they are on a closed permit, even in spite of having appealed the decision. Others have been approved, especially if they are on a temporary lay-off where it is known they will be called back and they are not really expected to find another job for a month.

If your work permit is expired, I think you have a very slim chance though.

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadayogini said:
Hi Emceemouli,

$80-$85k in Calgary will be fine, depending on what you expect as your standard of living and the rent/mortgage that you pay.

I know you can live quite comfortably on that... my husband and I have lived on a lot less than that in Calgary and we'll be moving back there, with 2 children (1 of those a newborn) and all of us will live on my husband's salary of less than $40k... so I think you're going to be ok!

Car parking is very expensive there... if you are working downtown may want to consider car share or alternate car parking options.
Thanks canadayogini, I was just concerned as i earn a lot more in US and i am taking a job in calgary as i am moving from there. Money is not just the only thing that makes us happy right :)

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Leon said:
Temporary foreign workers getting EI is a hit and miss. Some people have been refused based on not being ready, willing and able to take any job that comes along because they are on a closed permit, even in spite of having appealed the decision. Others have been approved, especially if they are on a temporary lay-off where it is known they will be called back and they are not really expected to find another job for a month.

If your work permit is expired, I think you have a very slim chance though.
That's interesting. However, if you are ready, able and willing to work in the U.S. you should qualify for EI as there are reciprocal agreements with the U.S. on employment/unemployment insurance.

martian

May 22, 2009
US
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-04-2009
Doc's Request.
11-07-2009
AOR Received.
05-05-2009
File Transfer...
13-05-2009
Med's Request
04-14-2010
Hi Links18
links18 said:
That's interesting. However, if you are ready, able and willing to work in the U.S. you should qualify for EI as there are reciprocal agreements with the U.S. on employment/unemployment insurance.
Do you mean if you have moved from US to Canada as a PR and you were working in US but haven't found a job in Canada, you can still get EI?

:)
Thanks