+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Undeclared Child

amine2701

May 16, 2024
Hello,

I am a permanent resident and came to Canada via Entry Express,

When my wife (principal applicant) and I applied for permanent residence, I did not declare my daughter, now 11 years old, that I had with my ex-wife because it was very complicated.

Today, I do not wish to sponsor my daughter, because I do not have custody and therefore she cannot live with me, however I would like to declare her to possibly sponsor her in the future or simply allow her to request a family visa to come see me.

So, if anyone has had a similar case or knows people in the same situation as me and can advise me it would be very appreciated.

THANKS

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,

I am a permanent resident and came to Canada via Entry Express,

When my wife (principal applicant) and I applied for permanent residence, I did not declare my daughter, now 11 years old, that I had with my ex-wife because it was very complicated.

Today, I do not wish to sponsor my daughter, because I do not have custody and therefore she cannot live with me, however I would like to declare her to possibly sponsor her in the future or simply allow her to request a family visa to come see me.

So, if anyone has had a similar case or knows people in the same situation as me and can advise me it would be very appreciated.

THANKS
You can never sponsor her because you didn’t declare her in your original application. She can apply to visit you.

Reactions: YVR123

amine2701

May 16, 2024
Thank you for your answer
But how will the visa services react if she applies for a visa and mentions that I am her father when I have not yet declared her as my child?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your answer
But how will the visa services react if she applies for a visa and mentions that I am her father when I have not yet declared her as my child?
It could open up a Pandora's Box, of sorts.

Willfully not declaring your child in your own PR application, is misrepresentation, which IRCC does not embrace. I suppose that if IRCC investigates, your PR could be in jeopardy. but...this is just my opinion. Nothing more.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

amine2701

May 16, 2024
that's what some people told me. That's why I'm trying to find out if some people have had the same situation as me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
that's what some people told me. That's why I'm trying to find out if some people have had the same situation as me.
I have a slightly different perspective on this. If she applies for a simple visitor visa then I don't think there will be an impact. Whether she is approved or refused will depend on her overall profile and if IRCC has concerns she is coming to Canada long term.

However you certainly should not try to sponsor her for PR. That you will never be able to do.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

amine2701

May 16, 2024
I have a slightly different perspective on this. If she applies for a simple visitor visa then I don't think there will be an impact. Whether she is approved or refused will depend on her overall profile and if IRCC has concerns she is coming to Canada long term.

However you certainly should not try to sponsor her for PR. That you will never be able to do.
thank you for the advice

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024

In a legal context, the father committed perjury and if the daughter doesn't declare on her application she'll be doing the same. I'm sure the visitor application asks 'if relatives in Canada?' but as you have mentioned it should have no impact on decision so it should be safe to declare. Immigration is a completely different matter and probably no consequences other than getting barred for a few years from reapplying in the worst case but I think being honest is probably the best route for the daughter and the father should just leave it alone.

That said, there was a policy change in 2019 from what I remember(which was set to expire in 4 years) were there was some exemption applied to certain undeclared groups but I'm not sure how it actually worked.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/excluded-2021.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In a legal context, the father committed perjury and if the daughter doesn't declare on her application she'll be doing the same. I'm sure the visitor application asks 'if relatives in Canada?' but as you have mentioned it should have no impact on decision so it should be safe to declare. Immigration is a completely different matter and probably no consequences other than getting barred for a few years from reapplying in the worst case but I think being honest is probably the best route for the daughter and the father should just leave it alone.

That said, there was a policy change in 2019 from what I remember(which was set to expire in 4 years) were there was some exemption applied to certain undeclared groups but I'm not sure how it actually worked.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/excluded-2021.html
OP immigrated through an economic immigration stream. The policy only applies to individuals who immigrated through family sponsorship or as refugees. So the policy doesn't help the OP.

Reactions: forevermore76