+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unclear eTA/ Require work permit

Thymin

Mar 1, 2024
Dear Community,

I am a researcher from a Visa exempt country, with an LMIA exemption. I have an offer letter and a work contract from a Canadian university.

What I need to start my job is a work permit for which I can apply online, however, due to waiting periods of more than a year and the nature of academia this is not feasible.

The university, which is recruiting me, informed me that I may apply for an work permit at the port of entry (i.e. some airport within Canada).

In order to get there, I need an eTA. However the eTA form online does not seem to have an option that applies to me, since I intend to work there, but am not work permit exempt.

I could indicate that I am coming as a tourist, but am not sure, if that is okay.

please advise.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Dear Community,

I am a researcher from a Visa exempt country, with an LMIA exemption. I have an offer letter and a work contract from a Canadian university.

What I need to start my job is a work permit for which I can apply online, however, due to waiting periods of more than a year and the nature of academia this is not feasible.

The university, which is recruiting me, informed me that I may apply for an work permit at the port of entry (i.e. some airport within Canada).

In order to get there, I need an eTA. However the eTA form online does not seem to have an option that applies to me, since I intend to work there, but am not work permit exempt.

I could indicate that I am coming as a tourist, but am not sure, if that is okay.

please advise.
What country are you from?

Reactions: Thymin

Thymin

Mar 1, 2024
Because I come to Canada to work, but when I chose work in the eTA form, it redirects me to the online application for a work permit. What the problem is with this, is described in my initial post.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Because I come to Canada to work, but when I chose work in the eTA form, it redirects me to the online application for a work permit. What the problem is with this, is described in my initial post.
You say you have an approved LMIA exemption, so you need a work permit. What your employer is suggesting is enter Canada as a visitor, and applying for work permit at POE. So you apply for ETA as visitor.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply/poe.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/persons-who-may-apply-port-entry.html

Reactions: Thymin

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
is that legal?
I think the way to look at this is: you are getting the ETA in order to visit. As long as all you have is the ETA, that's all you can do (that is, things authorized under the visitor regime).

If, after or upon arrival you request and receive permission to do something else - you're good to go. If you don't get the work permit on arrival, or until you do - you're a visitor.

Approach this way, and you're colouring within the lines and should be fine.

Reactions: Thymin and Naturgrl

Thymin

Mar 1, 2024
After several weeks of trying to get that same information, a university representative, coincidentally answered me at the same time as this post. They tell me, I should indicate that I don't need a work permit. However clicking this option opens a text bubble which reads "If you have a work permit exemption, you can apply for an eTA.", which does not apply to me. @armoured , what would you expect to be more likely to succeed, do you have experience be it first or second hand.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
After several weeks of trying to get that same information, a university representative, coincidentally answered me at the same time as this post. They tell me, I should indicate that I don't need a work permit. However clicking this option opens a text bubble which reads "If you have a work permit exemption, you can apply for an eTA.", which does not apply to me. @armoured , what would you expect to be more likely to succeed, do you have experience be it first or second hand.
No experience. I would do what was indicated by your university contact.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
The IRCC application wizard is wonky. It is by no means legally binding. It’s just a way to streamline application types but it can be confusing if you have an atypical case.

What your university representative is telling you is fine, just to get straight to the eTA application.

Reactions: armoured