+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK to Canada PR question

Charliuk

Jul 21, 2021
Hi, my 21 year old daughter is flying out to BC in 2 weeks. She is flying over for 3 months to see if she wants to make a permanent move to live with her father.

She has her PR paperwork but it hasn’t been stamped in Canada yet.

Under the current restrictions, is she going to have any problems entering the country without the stamp even though the plan is that they stamp it when she gets there?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
What exactly do you mean "she has her PR paperwork but it hasn't been stamped yet" -

Do you mean she has a COPR but hasn't landed in Canada?
Do you mean there is a PR application that has not been submitted?

If she has a COPR but hasn't landed yet, then they will "land" her when she arrives. She should carry proof of being related to a Canadian/PR in case she is asked for this by the airline.

If she has PR paperwork that has not yet been submitted, there should be no issue.

Charliuk

Jul 21, 2021
Now you’re asking!

I haven’t been part of this process at any point, it was all arranged without my knowledge in case so talked her out of it, so I can only ask what she is asking me.

She has a Certificate of Permanent Residency (would that be the CoPR?) but it needs to be stamped to become valid.

We have found some sites that say she may be turned back as she won’t be a permanent resident until it is stamped so therefore shouldn’t be entering the country during Covid unless it’s essential travel, but other sites say it will be fine.

she’s already worried that Canada will stop travel completely from the UK due to our rising numbers, so this is an added worry for her.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Now you’re asking!

I haven’t been part of this process at any point, it was all arranged without my knowledge in case so talked her out of it, so I can only ask what she is asking me.

She has a Certificate of Permanent Residency (would that be the CoPR?) but it needs to be stamped to become valid.

We have found some sites that say she may be turned back as she won’t be a permanent resident until it is stamped so therefore shouldn’t be entering the country during Covid unless it’s essential travel, but other sites say it will be fine.

she’s already worried that Canada will stop travel completely from the UK due to our rising numbers, so this is an added worry for her.
You can only get a Certificate of Permanent Residency "stamped" in Canada. You cannot "stamp" in the UK, so there is no way possible for her to be refused travel because it isn't stamped.

If she is the child of a Canadian or PR and is planning on staying for more than 15 days she can travel to Canada. I'm assuming she has a UK passport, so if she was issued a COPR, she should have also been issued an eTA.

Charliuk

Jul 21, 2021
Thank you, she has a valid eTA from her previous visit so it looks as if she is good to go. Just the borders staying open to worry about now!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Considering how fully vaccinated tourists are allowed in starting August 9th, and there has been no news yet of new restrictions on the UK, I'm sure she will be fine.

Charliuk

Jul 21, 2021
She has another question……

how long will she need to allow for the CoPR to be checked and stamped etc..? Or is that as long as a piece of string?

she has to rebook her flight as they have just cancelled initial flight. She now needs to stop over in Calgary and then on to Vancouver and is worried about missing the connecting flight if the CoPR takes a long time.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It's hard to say how long. There are frequent Vancouver-Calgary flights, so if she misses her connection, she should be re-accomodated on a following flight rather quickly.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She has another question……

how long will she need to allow for the CoPR to be checked and stamped etc..? Or is that as long as a piece of string?

she has to rebook her flight as they have just cancelled initial flight. She now needs to stop over in Calgary and then on to Vancouver and is worried about missing the connecting flight if the CoPR takes a long time.
I would leave 3-4 hours between flights to play it safe.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, my 21 year old daughter is flying out to BC in 2 weeks. She is flying over for 3 months to see if she wants to make a permanent move to live with her father.

She has her PR paperwork but it hasn’t been stamped in Canada yet.

Under the current restrictions, is she going to have any problems entering the country without the stamp even though the plan is that they stamp it when she gets there?
Assume her father is currently living in Canada and is a PR. She should travel with proof that she is the child of a Canadian PR.