+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[UK] Length of time for which a certificate is valid

mpitillo

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
Hi there,

In July I have already gone through the UK Police Certificate for immigration purposes (ACRO), and have received the certificate on the 14 of July 2017.

I am now almost at the end of the process to finish submitting the documents for our EE profile. I am estimating that my partner and I will have everything submitted by the end of December (the latest). My question is: would this police certificate from UK still be valid as it is, or would you recommend me going through the whole process and cost again, just so I have a brand new police certificate?

My worry is to submit this one from July, in December, and then CIC only decide to go through my submitted application past 14 of January. Would that be an issue? Any experience on that?

Thanks!

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
The police certificate is valid for 6 months regardless. The 6 month validity is checked at the time of application submission to IRCC regardless of when the officers decide to start working on your application. Also keep in mind that the 6 months starts from the issue date not when you received it. Good Luck!

mpitillo

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
The police certificate is valid for 6 months regardless. The 6 month validity is checked at the time of application submission to IRCC regardless of when the officers decide to start working on your application. Also keep in mind that the 6 months starts from the issue date not when you received it. Good Luck!
Thanks a lot for the reply. Really appreciate it!

I think I just worried, because I have read a page where someone said that the police certificate has to be no longer than 3 months old, when attaching and submitting in the EE profile. So I was unsure.

santosh3086

Star Member
Feb 22, 2017
Thanks a lot for the reply. Really appreciate it!

I think I just worried, because I have read a page where someone said that the police certificate has to be no longer than 3 months old, when attaching and submitting in the EE profile. So I was unsure.
You should submit a police clearance certificate that is not less more than 6 months old while submitting your PR application. If you do so, then they might come back asking for a new one. If you're not in UK now, then it shouldn't be a problem.

mpitillo

Star Member
Dec 10, 2013
You should submit a police clearance certificate that is not less more than 6 months old while submitting your PR application. If you do so, then they might come back asking for a new one. If you're not in UK now, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the reply.

I am still living in the UK. And yes, my current UK Police Certificate will EXPIRE on the 14th of January. My application will be submitted just before Christmas. But I have read online that on the time of the submission, it is recommended that the certificate has at least 3 months left before expiration. That's why I am conflicted and I can't get an official answer to that anywhere.